A widower has sued Viva Med Limited following the death of his wife after she was allegedly subjected to a breast procedure.
Viva Med Hospital, its four medical personnel and the Health Professions Council of Zambia (HPCZ) has been sued for negligence.
James Philip Mdala, an administrator of the estate of Agnes Lucia Kaluzi Mdala, his late wife, has sued the six defendants for failure
to give him complete and full information about the condition of his wife when she was undergoing surgery which caused her death.
He also cited Dr Akhta Akhtaev, a medical practitioner, Dr Dildora (other names
unkown), medical practitioner, Nasrin (nurse practitioner, other names unknown), Linnah Chibwe (nurse practitioner) and HPCZ.
Agnes was aged 34 at the time she discovered a lump in her breast in October last year. October being a Breast Cancer Awareness month, she decided to have the lump examined.
She was advised that since she was still breastfeeding her one year one month old baby, the lump could be blocked milk duct.
However, Agness in December 2020 went back to the hospital to check if the lump had reduced but it did not.
The hospital decided to conduct a lumpectomy as it was the most ideal procedure to remove the lump.
Agnes was told that the doctor would make a small incision along the areola to extract the lump and send it for biopsy.
According to Mdala, his wife was assured that the procedure would take approximately 30 minutes and it would be done as an outpatient because it was not a complicated procedure.
He said his wife also informed the doctor that she was allergic to tilapia fish, game meat and tramadol pain killer.
Mdala said the doctor asked his wife if she had ever undergone an operation under general anaesthesia and she responded in the negative.
He said the deceased after being assured that the operation will go on well went to the hospital on December 18 last year around 13:30 hours for the lumpectomy which was scheduled for 15:00 hours
but was only taken to the theater after 16:30 hours.
Mdala said after about an hour of waiting for his wife to come back from the theater, he was told that the lumpectomy was a success but that there were complications
as his wife went into anaphylactic shock due to a reaction to propofol.
Mdala was also told that his wife had a skin reaction as well as aclosure of throat which had necessitated her being intubated but
assured that she would be fine.
Mdala stated that at 17:20 hours, a nurse claimed that Agnes was
finally about to be brought out of surgery but he saw that more
medical equipments were being taken into the room she had occupied
before going for the procedure.
Agnes was brought back from the theater around 18:20 hours but her condition deteriorated and later she was moved to Care for Business (CfB) where she died on December 23, 2020.
He has sued the hospital for negligence, saying that his wife would not have opted for surgery if she was
warned by the medical personnel about the risk of the procedure which caused her death or certainly contributed to it.
Mdala wants the court to declare that
Viva Med as a private health facility could not hold a Class A
licence for as long as it was not equipped with a functional Intensive
He also wants the court to declare that the facility could not conduct operations and procedures under general
anesthesia for as long as it was not equipped with the
complications that arise under the general anesthesia.
Mdala further seeks aggravated damages from the hospital and its health practitioners with interest on any damages awarded and costs.
Police look for people who tortured a man in Lusaka
POLICE in Lusaka are calling on the public to report criminals among them one clad in a United Party for National Development (UPND) baret for torturing a man at Soweto Market in Lusaka.
In a video circulating on social media some criminals are seen torturing the unidentified male adult.
Police spokesperson Esther Katongo has appealed to members of the public who could have identified any of the thugs in the video to report to the police without delay.
She further calls on the victim in the video to report the matter to police for justice to prevail.
“Police shall not tolerate anyone that would deliberately commit crime with impunity, not even under the guise of politics,” she said.
Love triangle led to stabbing of Lusaka man, police say
A LOVE triangle has ended in a bloody fight after a 29 year old man stabbed his ex girlfriend’s boyfriend aged 40 out of rage.
Police spokespersoon Esther Katongo said officers have since arrested Mwamba Nonde aged 29 of Zingalume area in Lusaka for allegedly stabbing Emmanuel Sichula aged 40 who he suspected to have been having an intimate relationship with his ex girlfriend .
In a statement,Mrs Katongo said Racheal Goma 29 of Soweto Compound reported that her boyfriend Mr Nonde was stabbed by her former boy friend, Sichula.
Mrs Katongo said Mr Nonde sustained multiple cuts on the forehead, left shoulder, back of the head and belly leaving him with protruding intestines while the woman who reported the matter sustained cuts on the left ear and neck.
“This occured on 15th September, 2021 between 22:45 hours and 23:30 hours at Simbeye Bar in Soweto, Zingalume area when the assailant met the victim with the woman,” she said.
Mrs Katongo said the victim was rushed to George clinic where he was later referred to UTH in a critical condition.
“Police today arrested the suspect who went into hiding after committing the crime and is currently detained in police custody for two counts of unlawful wounding,” she said.
Court hears how a 32 year old woman dumped her newborn baby in a pit latrine
THE Ndola High Court has heard how a 32 year old woman dumped her newborn baby in a pit latrine after she delivered.
This is in a case in which Lydia Mweshi is charged with infanticide contrary to section 203 of the Penal Code.
When the matter came up for trial before Ndola High Court judge Daniel Musonda, Mweshi pleaded guilty and was convicted after she admitted.
According to facts presented by National Prosecutions Authority state advocate, Innocent Kamunga, On December 9, last year, police in Chipulukusu received information that an infant had been dumped in a toilet.
Mr Kamunga said the information was received from a concerned member of the Chipulukusu community after the infant was heard crying while in the pit latrine.
He said acting on the information, police instituted through investigations which led to the apprehension of Mweshi.
Mr Kamunga said Mweshi was then taken to Ndola Teaching Hospital where it was confirmed by medical personnel that she had recently given birth.
He said on the same day the infant was retrieved with the help of the Fire Brigade and was taken to Arthur Davison Children’s Hospital but was pronounced dead upon arrival.
Mr Kamunga informed court that the postmortem conducted by Dr Volodymyr Petrenko revealed the cause of death of the child as asphyxia of the immature due to an undetermined cause.
“Subsequently, the accused was charged and arrested with the offence of infanticide. The accused person unlawfully did cause the death of the infant,” he said.
In her mitigations, through her lawyer, Chisala Bwalya, Mweshi regretted causing the death of her child.
Mrs Bwalya said the time spent in custody, Mweshi had time to reflect on her mischief and is ashamed of herself.
She said her client has two toddlers whom she left with mother and the same depend on her
“My Lord, my client has promised not to engage herself in criminality. She prays to the court to be lenient with her as death of her baby will forever haunt her,” Mrs Bwalya said.
Judge Musonda has reserved sentence in the matter to September 20 this year.