Connect with us

Lifestyle

Self-catering at the edge of the Lower Zambezi National Park this festive season

Published

on

KASAKA RIVER LODGE | SELF-CATERING

#Mwebantu, Kasaka River Lodge is OPEN for the festive season! Spend your family holiday immersed in wild surroundings, perched right on the edge of the Lower Zambezi National Park with guided Safari activities just minutes away.

Kasaka offers a fantastic riverside location on the banks of the Zambezi River, directly across from the Mana Pools in Zimbabwe. It is set in a natural bush environment and each tent is tastefully decorated with authentic African flavor…making you feel at home and at peace the minute you check in.

For booking Contact Chris: kasakalodge@gmail.com

Lifestyle

Unnatural offence suspects provide fake names to police

Published

on

TWO male student nurses who were previously charged with unnatural offence have now been accused of providing false information to a public officer during the investigation.

Police spokesperson Rae Hamoonga said, it was revealed during the course of investigations that the individual initially identified as Chisenga Chanda, aged 20, of Matero, had misrepresented his identity.

He said the actual name is Brighton Banda, aged 25, of New Avondale, and a third-year Student Nurse at a named institution.

Similarly, Matthews Kabwe, aged 20, of Matero, is not who he claimed to be but Darius Musukwa, aged 20, of Kamwala South, and he too is a third-year Student Nurse at a named institution.

“Both individuals have been additionally charged with the offense of giving false information to a Public Officer Contrary to Section 125 of the Penal Code Act Chapter 87 of the laws of Zambia. As a result, they are currently detained in police custody,” he said.

Mr Hamoonga said police is committed to upholding the law and ensuring the accuracy of information provided during investigations.

“We urge the public to cooperate with law enforcement agencies and to refrain from engaging in activities that may obstruct or impede the course of justice,” he said.

(Mwebantu, Wednesday, 28th February, 2024)

Continue Reading

Lifestyle

Two pupils drown in Kafulafuta dam, police say 

Published

on

TWO pupils aged 14 and 12 have drowned in Kafulafuta dam in Masaiti district.

The two children drowned yesterday, Tuesday February 27, at around 15:00 hours.

Copperbelt province police commanding officer, Peacewell Mweemba said the report was made the girls grandmother, Offa Ednah, aged 53, of Masaiti.

He said Ms Ednah reported that her granddaughters drowned in Kafulafuta River.

Mr Mweemba said the victims have been identified as 14-year-old Grace Namonje, a grade six pupil, and 12-year-old Bathsheba Musaka, also in grade six at Koti ni Eden in the Shilashi area of Masaiti.

He said the two pupils left school around 14:00 hours, after which Bathsheba visited her friend’s house in Kampundu Village before deciding to accompany Grace, who lived in Saili Village.

Mr Mweemba said while on their way, the two girls opted to cross through a small path used as a road crossing over the dam.

“As they were going they decided to use a small path used as a road crossing through the dam and as they were crossing the dam they drowned after they failed to cross,” he said.

Mr Mweemba said members of the community rushed to retrieve their bodies and found that both were already dead.

He said when police visited the scene, they found that both deceased bodies had already been retrieved from the dam.

“The bodies were inspected and no physical injuries found on them. The bodies had some foam coming from their nose and mouth,” he said.

Mr Mweemba said the two bodies have since been deposited to St. Theresa’s Mission Hospital Mortuary.

(Mwebantu, Wednesday, 28th February,  2024)

Continue Reading

Lifestyle

Commander II left ‘homeless’

Published

on

BUSINESSMAN Francis Muchemwa, alias, commander II, will continue being a ‘destitute’ after a magistrate refused to grant him an application to access and occupy one of his houses seized by the Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC).

Through his lawyers, Muchemwa had applied, in the Lusaka Magistrate’s Court, to be allowed to occupy one of his houses grabbed from him by the ACC through seizure but the application has been dismissed by Lusaka chief resident magistrate Davies Chibwili.

In throwing out the application, the magistrate ruled that it would be premature to release the property being asked for to the accused person who is accused of possession of properties suspected of being proceeds of crime.

“It would be premature to release the property in question to him and it will sent a wrong message about the outcome of these proceedings at this stage,” the magistrate said.

He added that the submission by defence lawyers that the house should be released to their client because he has been going through hard times and destitute from the time ACC seized his properties cannot stand because the court cannot act based on humanitarian grounds at the expense of following legal procedure.

“We are concerned with the law and procedures in criminal proceedings and thus humanitarian considerations cannot be invoked or be allowed to mask or interfere with the proceedings,” magistrate Chibwili said.

He also warned the accused that in an event that his lawyers do not show up at the next hearing date, he risks representing himself in his defence.

This was after the court learnt that the accused’s lawyers were not present and that one of them had joined another law firm.

Muchemwa is supposed to open his defence after being found with a case to answer for possession of property, including houses and trucks, suspected of being proceeds of crime.

The case comes up on February 29, 2024 for opening of defence.

(Mwebantu, Wednesday, 28th February, 2024)

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Mwebantu on Facebook

© Copyright © 2023 Mwebantu. All Rights Reserved. Zambia's leading Social news platform.