THE Road Transport and Safety Agency (RTSA) and the Zambia Information and Communication Technology Authority (ZICTA), have cautioned motorists and members of the public to refrain from taking pictures and videos of road traffic victims at accidents scenes.
In a joint statement signed by RTSA head of public relations Fredrick Mubanga and ZICTA corporate communication manager Ngabo Nankonde, the two institutions have reminded motorists and members of the public of their moral obligation to render assistance to road accident victims in order to save the lives of the injured as opposed to taking pictures and videos.
“Further, it is unethical to circulate pictures or videos in ‘bad taste’ such as those showing dead bodies and injured persons in road accidents,” read the statement in part,”
“The RTSA in collaboration with ZICTA is working out modalities on how to stop the growing trend of producing and circulating accident scene pictures and videos of both the deceased and injured on social media.”
The two institutions urged all motorists and members of the public to take responsibility and stop filming accidents victims but instead render assistance to save lives.
They further advised the public to report persons taking pictures and videos of the deceased and injured accident victims to the RTSA National Call Centre toll-free line – 983 or the ZICTA Toll-free line 7070 or the Zambia Police on 911 for action.
Notorious drug dealer claims he was releases on amnesty
A NOTORIOUS drug dealer who was yesterday found guilty of trafficking in over six grammes of cocaine and marijuana told a magistrate that he is a second offender who was released on amnesty about four years ago.
After being convicted of five counts of drug trafficking, escaping from lawful custody and unlawful use of a car, Allan Muvundo, 29, told magistrate Keggan Litiya that he is a second offender.
About five months ago, the accused, while wielding a pistol, fled Drug Enforcement Commission (DEC) headquarters during an interrogation, leaving officers scampering in fear.
A manhunt led to the arrest of Muvundo, who appeared before Lusaka Magistrate Keggan Litiya last week facing five charges.
In count one, it is alleged that on December 20, 2022 in Lusaka, Muvundo trafficked in 6grammes of cannabis without lawful authority.
In count two, it has been alleged that on the same day, trafficked in narcotic drugs, 0.57grammes of cocaine, without lawful authority.
Allegations in court three are that on December 20, 2022, Muvundo used an unregistered Toyota Vitz to carry, conceal and convey psychotropic substances without lawful authority.
In count four, allegations are that on the same day, the accused conducted himself in a manner likely to cause a breach of the peace in a public place.
Lastly, it is alleged that on the same date, Muvundo, being a person in lawful custody at DEC officers, escaped from such custody.
Muvundo admitted all the charges and the court set yesterday as date for reading of facts and sentencing.
The court heard that DEC had been pursuing the accused in connection with drug trafficking.
One of the manhunts was in July last year when investigators received a tip that the accused was trafficking in suspected drugs at East Park mall.
DEC officers who went to the mall found Muvundo who immediately spade off in a Vitz which he abandoned in Kalingalinga after running out of gas.
A pistol with 26 rounds of ammunition and some suspected marijuana were found in his abandoned car.
In the same month, the daring accused went to DEC officers to claim for his impounded car but during interrogations, he challenged the investigators before evading them while armed with a pistol.
Asked if the facts were correct, the accused replied in the affirmative as magistrate Litiya convicted him of the charges as the prosecution team then informed the court that he is a second offender.
“I am a second offender, I was release on amnesty,” the convict said.
“We need to prove on record that he is a second offender,” a prosecutor said as the court adjourned the matter to tomorrow for presentation of the Muvundo’s previous record of conviction and his possible sentencing.
(Mwebantu, Wednesday, 25th January, 2023)
London ‘Elephant’ breaks into News Diggers, steals over K4, 000
BARELY a week after a security guard was jailed six years for breaking into Muvi Television studios where he stole electronic gadgets, another security guard has admitted breaking into another mwdia house, News Diggers, and stealing over K4, 000.
When asked why he stole the money,
London Njobvu, whose last name means Elephant, told Lusaka Magistrate Kelvin Soma that he wanted to pay rentals.
This is in a case Njobvu, 43, of Mtendere Township, is charged with breaking into a building and committing a felony.
On January 7,this year, Njobvu, with intent to steal, broke into News Diggers offices and stole K4, 750, the property of News Diggers.
When the accused appeared before magistrate Soma today, he admitted the charge.
“Yes, i broke into News Digger’s offices,” Njobvu said.
The court entered a guilty plea and adjourned the case to next week for reading of facts and sentencing.
Last week, a security guard was sentenced to six years imprisonment with hard labour for stealing electronic gadgets worth ocer K100,00 at MUVI Television.
(Mwebantu, Friday, 20th January, 2023)
A Lusaka magistrate refuses to reconcile a couple after the wife’s ear was bitten off during a fight with her husband
LUSAKA Magistrate Amy Masoja dismissed an application to withdraw an assault case made by a woman whose ear was cut off by her husband during a dispute.
Magistrate Masoja could not grant Albertina Chibwe’s plea to withdraw the case because the injury inflicted on her was grave and she feared the victim could be killed in future.
“From here, it will be murder,” magistrate Masoja said as she refused to allow the victim to withdraw the case.
This is in a case Brighton Kabinga is facing one count of assault occasioning actual bodily Harm.
It is alleged that on November 28, 2022, Kabinga assaulted Albertina Chibwe and occasioned her actual bodily harm.
When the case came up, Friday, the accused pleaded guilty to the charge as his wife stood from the gallery and informed the court that she had forgiven her husband.
Ms Chibwe applied to withdrew the matter so that the couple can continue raising their children.
“I have forgiven him. He is my husband and we have two children together,” she said.
“The medical report and pictures are showing that you[accused] cut off her ear, that’s why today she has come with that hairstyle.
“Children are not the reason you are here, it is better to raise those children in a healthy family than in such a toxic family,” magistrate Masoja said.
The magistrate is worried that “once this matter is withdrawn, the next thing we will hear is a murder[case]”.
(Mwebantu, Tuesday, 17th January, 2023)