Connect with us

Health

President Hakainde Hichilema calls for prudent use of resources at the Ministry of Health

Published

on

PRESIDENT Hakainde Hichilema has assured the nation that the recruitment of health workers will be done in a prudent manner.

Speaking to journalists after he visited the Ministry of Health, President Hichilema said his government is committed to recruiting the 11,000 health workers once proper modalities are in place.

He said he went to the Ministry to discuss the reported  shortage of drugs and the recruitment of 11,000 health workers.

The President said his administration working with stakeholders is keen to address the challenges being faced in the utilisation of resources in the health sector.

He told journalists that during the meeting, he also talked with all the 10 provincial medical officers in all provinces to understand the situation on the ground.

“We are delighted to come here to discuss with the Ministry on a number of issues, particularly the percieved drug shortage.The meeting revealed a number of issues,  with some requiring interrogation. There appears a mismatch of what is on the ground and what is being said,” he said.

President Hichilema also emphasised the need to stop being wasteful as it was in the previous regime.

“We need to stop being wasteful but provide service delivery,” he said.

The Head of State said he will be visiting other ministries to check on their operations.

(Mwebantu, Thursday, March 24th, 2022)

Health

Chainama Hills Hospital highlights neglect and attention deficiency as key factors in declining school attendance among boys

Published

on

CHAINAMA Hills Hospital has identified neglect and attention deficiency as significant contributors to the decreasing enrolment of boys in schools.

According to the hospital, mental health issues, particularly attention deficiency, play a crucial role in the decreasing attendance of boy children in classrooms.

This follows a statement issued by the Minister of Education Douglas Syakalima, who stated that, statistically, more girls than boys participated in grade 12 examinations last year.

The figures indicated that 49.40 percent of the candidates were boys, while 50.60 percent were girls.

The hospital which actively advocates for mental health, has suggested that implementing mental health programs in schools could be a crucial intervention to encourage more boys to stay in school.

Hospital spokesperson George Tafuna, attributed the reluctance of boys to attend school to attention-seeking behavior.

Dr Tafuna said the current focus on educating girl children has left some boys feeling neglected, leading to a decline in their attendance.

He called for increased parental care and attention for boys, emphasizing that some turn to negative behaviors to cope with attention deficiency.

Dr Tafuna pointed out the need for a balanced approach, with equal advocacy for both genders, and urged the introduction of mental health programs in schools.

He also noted that a significant number of boys aged between 13 and 15 years are being admitted to Chainama Hills Hospital for drug and substance abuse issues.

Dr Tafuna stressed the importance of interventions to address the underlying mental health challenges faced by these boys.

“The problem today is that we do not have many organisations advocating for the boy child as much as they are doing for the girl child. We need a system in which both genders are looked after. We need more programs also in mental health being introduced in schools. It is why we have been advocating for children and adolescent mental clinics in the country,” he said.

Dr Tafuna told Mwebantu in an interview that the Ministry of Education should look into interventions with stakeholders to address the matter.

“Sometimes you find a system where the boy child is left at home by both parents who work and expect him to go to school. But because of lack of attention, they abscond and divert to do other illicit things such as drug abuse. Some are even exposed to films which teach them how to commit offences, avoid school and also commit suicide. This is why we have less boy children taking interest in school,” he suggested.

(Mwebantu, Saturday, 27th January, 2024)

Continue Reading

Health

18 more cholera deaths, 457 new cases recorded

Published

on

EIGHTEEN more cholera related death have been recorded in the last 24 hours.

Out of the 18 deaths recorded, 16 are believed to have died within their respective communities while two died at the treatment centres.

Minister of Health, Sylvia Masebo and her counterparts Local Government Minister Gary Nkombo and Minister of Water and Sanitation, Mike Mposha have assured the nation that Government is putting in intervention measures to combat Cholera across the country.

Ms Masebo also that for families who cannot be allowed to visit their loved ones in this critical moment, mechanisms to have them call the health facilities are being put in place.

Ms Masebo was speaking during a briefing in Lusaka today.

She said Government together with health personnel as well as well wishers and stakeholders  are working hard to ensure lives are saved.

“We have recorded in the last 24 hours a total of 457 new cases. The next new cases are being distributed as follows, Lusaka which is the epicenter has 406 cases, 28 cases in Central province, seven cases in Eastern, Five in Southern and four cases, one each on the Copperbelt, Muchinga, Western and Northern.

On the Copperbelt, Western and Muchinga we have what we call imported cases, while Luapula remains at high alert with no cases.”

“Currently in admission across the country, we have 1,117 in the last 24 hours, while we have discharged 588. The total number of cases recorded since the outbreak is 7,830. We have also recorded in the last 24 hours 18 deaths. Of these, 16 occurred in the community, while two at the cholera treatment centres,” she said.

She said there is a decrease of Cholera cases which can be attributed to a proactive health stuff and community awareness.

Ms Masebo emphasised the need to adhere to hygiene measures and to also quickly rush patients with symptoms to the nearest health facilities.

And Local Government Minister said Government is in overdrive in ensuring that they facilitate people with the needed amenities.

Mr Nkombo said his ministry has also intensified measures to stop indiscriminate disposal of any waste adding that street vending is one such issue which has contributed to the cholera outbreak.

He said if the indiscriminate disposal of waste does not stop, Government will be forced to fine perpetrators through use of the Statutory Instrument against indiscriminate disposal of waste.

Meanwhile, Mr Mposha said his ministry is in the process of installing water tanks and is mobilizing emptying of pit latrines.

He said his Ministry will adhere to President Hakainde Hichilema’s directive of burying shallow wells which have contributed to the outbreak of Cholera.

(Mwebantu, Thursday, 11th January, 2024)

Continue Reading

Health

27 people die of cholera

Published

on

TWENTY SEVEN cholera related deaths have been recorded in the last 24 hours, Health Minister, Sylvia Masebo has disclosed.

Ms Masebo said of the deaths recorded, 26 are in Lusaka, while one is from Kabwe district.

She also disclosed that the country has recorded 567 new cholera cases in the last 24 hours and that 504 of those cases are from Lusaka.

Speaking when she gave an update on the cholera situation in the country at heroes stadium in Lusaka which is being used as the treatment center,Ms Masebo said government is on top of things and has called for cooperation from members of the public.

“In the last 24 hours, we have recorded 567 new cases country wide. Although most are in Lusaka which has 504 cases out of the 567. The accumulative total number of cases since October is now 5,463. Sadly we have lost 27 patients in the last 24 hours. 26 are from Lusaka. This brings the accumulative total of deaths to 223,” she said.

Ms Masebo said despite the deaths, there is a positive recovery rate being that 350 people have been discharged in the past 24 hours.

She said presently 1,059 people have been admitted in the health facilities.

“We need to ensure that those having symptoms are quickly brought to the hospital because 80 to 90 percent of the deaths are as a result of late coming to the health facilities. Do not wait for symptoms to exceed,” she said.

She added that other line ministries such as the Ministry of Defence are also on ground to help bring the situation under control adding also the vaccines are expected on the country soon.

(Mwebantu, Sunday, 7th January, 2024)

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Mwebantu on Facebook

© Copyright © 2023 Mwebantu. All Rights Reserved. Zambia's leading Social news platform.