Connect with us

Local Courts

Police arrest couple over their pornographic video on social media with gospel music playing in the background

Published

on

POLICE in Lusaka have arrested a couple for allegedly circulating their pornographic video on social media with gospel music playing in the background.

In a media statement issued, police spokesperson Esther Katongo said police through the Cyber Crime Unit commenced investigations into a case of obscene material which was circulating on various social media platforms with gospel music playing in the background. She said investigations into the matter led to the arrest of John Chewe aged 31, a pharmacist and Angela Kapumba aged 24, a dental assistant both working at a private Hospital in Lusaka.

Mrs Katongo said the duo had initially reported to Luckson Mapushi Police Post from where they obtained a Police report that on February 19,between 02:00 hours and 05:00 hours, unknown people had broken into their motor vehicle and stole a phone which was containing the said video and later circulated on various social media platforms without their knowledge.

She however said investigations revealed that there was no such incidence involving the theft of the mobile phone in question and that the report given to police was aimed distancing themselves from what was circulating on social media.

“Chewe and Kapumba have been warn and cautioned for the offences of Prohibition of Pornography Contrary to section 102(a)(b) of the Electronic and Communications Transaction Act number 21 of 2009,Making a False Document contrary to section 344 , CAP 87, Uttering a false document contrary to section 352 of Cap 87 and Giving false information to a public officer contrary to section 125, CAP 87 of the Laws of Zambia,” she said.

Mrs Katongo said the couple detained in police custody yet to be charged and will appear in court soon.

Local Courts

Businessman found with forged ‘dead’ man’s NRC jailed one year and six months

Published

on

A BUSINESSMAN who was found with a forged National Registration Card (NRC) bearing a dead man’s details has been jailed 18months with hard labour.

Kelvin Kisambira was jailed yesterday after he earlier pleaded guilty to being found with with a forged NRC255428/10/1 in the names John Tembo, who was reportedly dead, according the police.

Kisambira, who is joinlty charged with former Road Transport and Safety Agency chief executive officer Zindaba Soko, also admitted having presented the same NRC to a banker.

Kisambira, Soko, 45, a transport consultant of Old Lilayi Road, Ibrahim Mbongo, 24, a student of Libala South, are charged with forgery, uttering false documents, being found in possession of property believed to have been stolen or unlawfully obtained.

Allegations are that between January 1 and 17 this year, with intent to defraud, the accused allegedly forged NRC255428/10/1 in the name ,John Tembo.

They further purported to show that the NRC was genuinely issued by the Department of National Registration, Passport and Citizenship, when infact not.

It is further alleged that Kisambira later fraudulently uttered the forged NRC to a banker at FNB bank, Chilenje.

Kisambara pleaded guilty to the charges and was jailed yesterday and also fined K5,000 by Lusaka magistrate Irene Wishimanga.

Meanwhile, Soko, who had been detained for contempt of court, was forgiven by a magistrate but asked to surrender his passport.

The case will resume on March 13 for trial in respect of Soko and others who denied the charges.

(Mwebantu, Saturday, 2nd March, 2024)

Continue Reading

Lifestyle

Assualt accused Army officer’s wife now claims bed sores caused the wounds on her son

Published

on

THE Lusaka Magistrate’s Court has set March 11 this year as judgement in a case a Zambia Army officer’s wife is accused of assaulting her four-year-old step son using different weapons like a hosepipe and knife.

But when winding up her defence yesterday, the accused, Longwe Ngosa, 30, did not cause the wound marks on her son’s body but that the marks on his back were caused by bed sores.

Ngosa added that child developed bed sores when he was admitted to University Teaching Hospitals (UTH) after he injured his leg while playing.

She said he got the “sore beds” due to the sleeping position in the hospital.

Ngosa said this yesterday in a matter she is charged with assault on a child which allegedly happened between April 1 and July 31, 2023.

The housewife of Apollo Military Camp is accused of assaulting a juvenile we shall call, IB, and occasioned him actual bodily harm.

The assault the child came to light through a viral Facebook clip where IB was filmed narrating to his teacher how his mother had been beating him using different weapons, including a knife.

Ngosa was found with a case to answer by Lusaka magistrate Mutinta Mwenya and she is currently on her defence.

The accused, who initially told the court that her son was assaulted by her class teacher on several occasions, yesterday told the court that the wounds on the victim’s back were caused by bed sores.

Ngosa also claimed the other wound marks on his stomach were as a result of an allergy.

“He developed them when he ate relish he does not eat. That was an allergy,” she narrated.

Ngosa also narrated that she started living with IB when he was 15months and has always considered him as “my child and not my stepson”.

In cross examination, state prosecutor Chisenga Malama asked Ngosa to confirm that she never produced any medical record to show what happened to IB.

“No, I did not,” the accused said.

“Confirm you never made any official complaint to school about the sores on the child,” Ms Malama asked as the accused said no.

(Mwebantu, Thursday, 29th February, 2024)

Continue Reading

Local Courts

State opposes lawsuit to compensate minister, PS for malicious prosecution.

Published

on

THE State has opposed the lawsuit filed by Minister of Small Medium Enterprises Minister Elias Mubanga, Permanent Secretary for special duties Patrick Mucheleka and others who are seeking damages for malicious.

The State has argued that Mr Mucheleka and others are not entitled to the reliefs they are seeking because their detention was not malicious.

It adds that there was reasonable cause why they were arrested.

The other plaintiffs are UPND national youth secretary Samuel Ngwira, Chinyimba Bwalya and Kelvin Bwalya.

The five sued the State seeking among other reliefs, damages for false imprisonment.

In their statement of claim, Mr Mucheleka and others submitted that they were apprehended and arrested without reasonable cause by the Zambia Police Service for 31 days.

The added that they were arrested from September 13, 2020 to October 3, 2020 at Kasama Police Station on aggravated robbery and malicious damage to property charges.

Further, Mr Mucheleka and others submitted that during trial, the State set them free through a nolle prosequi.

But the plaintiffs now want to be compensated for mental distress, mental anguish, emotional distress, inconvenience and embarrassment among other reliefs.

However, in reply to the lawsuit, the State submits that it will submit that there was reasonable cause for the plaintiffs’ arrest and detention and that they therefore, the reliefs they seek should not be granted.

It adds that on September 13,2020, the the police received a report of aggravated robbery from the District Registration Officer to the effect that members of UPND attacked and robbed the mobile registration office and damaged property there, and fled immediately after committing the said offence.

The State will further state at trial that with the assistance of eye witnesses, police instituted investigations and recovered a generator at a house in Chilamba village which led to the detention and arrest of the plaintiffs.

It adds that the State will aver that the plaintiffs were lawfully detained and arrested.

During their detention, the plaintiffs were allowed to be visited by several of their party members as well as their lawyers.

The State will aver that police action was conducted within the law and that there was no malice in their detention and arrest.

(Mwebantu, Wednesday, 28th February, 2024)

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Mwebantu on Facebook

© Copyright © 2023 Mwebantu. All Rights Reserved. Zambia's leading Social news platform.