Connect with us

Politics

Ministry of Finance quashes rumors making rounds on social media regarding the alleged disappearance of K65 million

Published

on

THE Ministry of Finance and National Planning has quashed rumors making rounds on social media regarding the alleged disappearance of K65 million forfeited to the Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC) by Faith Musonda.

In a statement, the Ministry of Finance and National Planning clarified that it issued an instruction to the ACC on February 25, 2022, requesting the transfer of the forfeited funds to the consolidated account (Control 99) at the Bank of Zambia, both in Zambian Kwacha and United States Dollars.

The ACC subsequently transferred the funds on  March 3  2022.

“Last year, the ACC, representing the Government of the Republic of Zambia, launched two bank accounts where forfeited assets were to be deposited. The accounts were divided into two categories, one for deposits in Zambian Kwacha and the other for deposits in United States Dollars.

“A handover ceremony was held on February 23, 2022, where Ms Musonda forfeited a total of K65, 332, 446 million and US$ 57, 950 to the ACC. The event saw then Acting Director General (Commission Secretary) Mr Ivor Mukwanka present a symbolic cheque to the Minister of Finance and National Planning, Hon Dr Situmbeko Musokotwane, MP. In response, the Finance Minister issued a dummy cheque to the Minister of General Education Hon Douglas Siakalima, MP.

The Ministry of Finance said the ceremony was attended by several senior Government officials, including the Auditor General Dr. Dick Sichembe and the Acting Director General, Financial Intelligence Center, Ms. Liya Tembo.

The Ministry further revealed that the funds were evenly disbursed the Higher Education Loans and Scholarship Board (HELSB), through the Ministry of Education, between March and December 2022.

“We are pleased to state that, combined with treasury funding, a total of K90.07 million was given to HELSB in 2022, from which, two-thousand-seven-hundred and eighty (2,780) students were awarded scholarships,” the Ministry reported.

The Ministry of Finance and National Planning reaffirmed its commitment to transparency, promising to continue engaging the public in financial and economic matters, in an effort to keep citizens and stakeholders accurately informed.

The Ministry hence debunked any rumors of missing funds, affirming that the money had been put to its intended use in supporting higher education in the country.

(Mwebantu, Monday, 5th June, 2023)

Politics

PF Secretary General Nakachinda involved in a road traffic accident 

Published

on

PATRIOTIC Front (PF) Secretary General Raphael Nakachinda has been involved in Road Traffic Accident after the vehicle he was driving was hit into by a locomotive.

This happened when Mr Nakachinda who whilst driving an Isuzu vehicle failed to give way to a locomotive hence his vehicle was hit into.

Police spokesperson Rae Hamoonga said the incident occurred today around midnight along the Great North Road at Shikoswe railway crossing.

“Involved was Raphael Mangani Nakachinda aged 45 of house number 1794 Inkanga area of Kafue District who was driving an Isuzu registration number BAH 8695 from North to South who sustained bruised left πarm ,bruised back of the neck , bruised left ear and painful left leg, whilst the vehicle incurred a shattered front windscreen, extensively damaged right side body, rear passenger’s door and both rear lights,” he said.

He said also involved was Vincent Mabinda aged 45 of unknown house number a driver of a Goods Train from west to east direction which had no damages.

“The accident happened when Mr. Raphael Nakachinda who whilst driving an Isuzu vehicle failed to give way to a locomotive hence his vehicle was hit into by an on-coming Locomotive which had the right of way,” he said.

Mr Hamoonga said the accused has since been charged for the offence of Careless driving and his vehicle impounded at the Police station.

(Mwebantu, Saturday, 2nd December, 2023)

Continue Reading

Politics

I am ready to risk my life to save the PF, says Edgar Lungu 

Published

on

“I AM ready for anything, including risking my own life to save the Patriotic Front (PF),” Former republican President Edgar Lungu has said.

Mr Lungu says victory is certain and that the machinations by the ruling United Party for National Development (UPND) in form of ‘Imingalato’ will not stop him.

He has also noted that he is aware that the next move by the UPND is to lift his immunity, but he is ready and not worried about the outcome.

Speaking when he addressed the media on a number or issues, he said that he did not intend to get back into active politics, but he did so to ensure that PF lives on.

He noted that this was from the backdrop of the machinations from Government to steal, kill and destroy the PF in order to continue their stay in power.

“The machinations became more when those in power wanted to state a coup in PF using their stooges. They were illegally endorsed by police, followed by the National Assembly to swot democracy. This becoming more vivid when the victim who in this case is the PF is treated as a villian and a state sponsored sect is being given protection by the law,” he said.

Mr Lungu claimed that unfortunately, for those in power, it is not possible to submerge the PF in an attempt of using ‘Imingalato.’

“In this regard, I made a call to all opposition s as to defend Zambia’s hard earned democracy. I called for unity of purpose and today I am humbled for the unanimous response. Victory is certain, we shall certainly defeat those scheming against democracy,” he said.

He further claimed that he came back into politics to save the PF from being stolen of killed by the government.

“I am aware the next move is to lift my immunity from prosection. This does not worry me. It is another ploy to divert people from their failure, ” he said.

(Mwebantu, Friday, 1st December, 2023)

Continue Reading

Politics

‘Imbwili’ jailed for hate speech

Published

on

OPPOSITION Patriotic Front (PF) member of the Central Committee and former Roan Member of Parliament Chishimba Kambwili has been handed a five-month prison sentence for hate speech by Kasama Magistrate’s Court.

In this case, Kambwili, 54, of house number 9, Wisteria Avenue, Luanshya was charged with the offence of expressing hatred and ridicule of the persons based on tribe and place of origin.

Kasama Resident Magistrate Samson Mumba found Kambwili after the prosecution proved its case beyond reasonable doubts.
And in mitigation, Kambwili who spoke through his lawyer told court that he was a first offender, a family man and a person who previously served the nation as a cabinet minister.

He also urged the court to take into consideration his health.

In sentencing Kambwili, Magistrate Mumba said he took into account the mitigation.
He however said he sentenced Kambwili to five months imprisonment to deter would be offenders.

Meanwhile, after judgement was passed, Kambwili’s lawyer Kaizara Tembo told journalists his client will appeal against the verdict.

“Currently we are making efforts to lodge in an application for bail pending appeal,” he said.

Kambwili has since been transported to Milima Correctional Facility in Kasama.

(Mwebantu, Thursday,  30th November, 2023)

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Mwebantu on Facebook

© Copyright © 2023 Mwebantu. All Rights Reserved. Zambia's leading Social news platform.