THE Lusaka Magistrate’s Court has been informed that some progress has been made in trying to locate fugitive Kaizer Zulu.
It has been learnt that the fugitive former Special Assistant to the President for political affairs has been calling one of his sureties, Mulenga Fube, through mobile phone.
Mr Fube, who is Chilubi lawmaker told Lusaka senior resident magistrate Silvia Munyinya that he has been in contact with Kaizer on several occasions via mobile phone.
“The accused has called me for four times, including last evening,” Mr Fube said.
He testified yesterday when the case came up for return of bench warrant issued against Kaizer, who has been on the run since June.
In this matter, he is charged with two counts of failing to appear before the nearest immigration officer and failing to surrender a diplomatic passport.
Kaizer denied the allegations but was later found with a case to answer and placed him on his defense which he should have opened in June this year before he stopped appearing in court.
But the accused has been on the run and an and arrest warrant hangs on his head.
His sureties, Lumezi lawmaker Munir and Mr Fube were later ordered to look for him and present him a court.
When the case resumed yesterday, state prosecutor Frederick Nsama told the court that the bench warrant had not been executed against Kaizer.
Mr Fube then explained that the accused contacted him four times, including Tuesday evening.
” I have communicated to the arresting officer, who indicated that he had made follow-ups.
“There are other factors that have to do with securing the accused, but for security reasons, I would not like to devulge them in an open court. If you can find it within yourself to summon the matter in chambers,” Mr Fube said.
And Lumezi MP Munir Zulu, who is also a surety, explained that pogress had been made in trying to locate the accused.
But he asked that the sureties meets the court in chambers so that they can make some request.
” The request will make it easier for us to locate the accused,” Mr Zulu said.
The sureties then went into chambers with the magistrate and later emerged.
The magistrate then gave the sureties more time to find the accused before adjourning the matter to September 22, 2023.
(Mwebantu, Thursday, 31st August, 2023)
PF Secretary General Nakachinda involved in a road traffic accident
PATRIOTIC Front (PF) Secretary General Raphael Nakachinda has been involved in Road Traffic Accident after the vehicle he was driving was hit into by a locomotive.
This happened when Mr Nakachinda who whilst driving an Isuzu vehicle failed to give way to a locomotive hence his vehicle was hit into.
Police spokesperson Rae Hamoonga said the incident occurred today around midnight along the Great North Road at Shikoswe railway crossing.
“Involved was Raphael Mangani Nakachinda aged 45 of house number 1794 Inkanga area of Kafue District who was driving an Isuzu registration number BAH 8695 from North to South who sustained bruised left πarm ,bruised back of the neck , bruised left ear and painful left leg, whilst the vehicle incurred a shattered front windscreen, extensively damaged right side body, rear passenger’s door and both rear lights,” he said.
He said also involved was Vincent Mabinda aged 45 of unknown house number a driver of a Goods Train from west to east direction which had no damages.
“The accident happened when Mr. Raphael Nakachinda who whilst driving an Isuzu vehicle failed to give way to a locomotive hence his vehicle was hit into by an on-coming Locomotive which had the right of way,” he said.
Mr Hamoonga said the accused has since been charged for the offence of Careless driving and his vehicle impounded at the Police station.
(Mwebantu, Saturday, 2nd December, 2023)
I am ready to risk my life to save the PF, says Edgar Lungu
“I AM ready for anything, including risking my own life to save the Patriotic Front (PF),” Former republican President Edgar Lungu has said.
Mr Lungu says victory is certain and that the machinations by the ruling United Party for National Development (UPND) in form of ‘Imingalato’ will not stop him.
He has also noted that he is aware that the next move by the UPND is to lift his immunity, but he is ready and not worried about the outcome.
Speaking when he addressed the media on a number or issues, he said that he did not intend to get back into active politics, but he did so to ensure that PF lives on.
He noted that this was from the backdrop of the machinations from Government to steal, kill and destroy the PF in order to continue their stay in power.
“The machinations became more when those in power wanted to state a coup in PF using their stooges. They were illegally endorsed by police, followed by the National Assembly to swot democracy. This becoming more vivid when the victim who in this case is the PF is treated as a villian and a state sponsored sect is being given protection by the law,” he said.
Mr Lungu claimed that unfortunately, for those in power, it is not possible to submerge the PF in an attempt of using ‘Imingalato.’
“In this regard, I made a call to all opposition s as to defend Zambia’s hard earned democracy. I called for unity of purpose and today I am humbled for the unanimous response. Victory is certain, we shall certainly defeat those scheming against democracy,” he said.
He further claimed that he came back into politics to save the PF from being stolen of killed by the government.
“I am aware the next move is to lift my immunity from prosection. This does not worry me. It is another ploy to divert people from their failure, ” he said.
(Mwebantu, Friday, 1st December, 2023)
‘Imbwili’ jailed for hate speech
OPPOSITION Patriotic Front (PF) member of the Central Committee and former Roan Member of Parliament Chishimba Kambwili has been handed a five-month prison sentence for hate speech by Kasama Magistrate’s Court.
In this case, Kambwili, 54, of house number 9, Wisteria Avenue, Luanshya was charged with the offence of expressing hatred and ridicule of the persons based on tribe and place of origin.
Kasama Resident Magistrate Samson Mumba found Kambwili after the prosecution proved its case beyond reasonable doubts.
And in mitigation, Kambwili who spoke through his lawyer told court that he was a first offender, a family man and a person who previously served the nation as a cabinet minister.
He also urged the court to take into consideration his health.
In sentencing Kambwili, Magistrate Mumba said he took into account the mitigation.
He however said he sentenced Kambwili to five months imprisonment to deter would be offenders.
Meanwhile, after judgement was passed, Kambwili’s lawyer Kaizara Tembo told journalists his client will appeal against the verdict.
“Currently we are making efforts to lodge in an application for bail pending appeal,” he said.
Kambwili has since been transported to Milima Correctional Facility in Kasama.
(Mwebantu, Thursday, 30th November, 2023)