Connect with us

Lifestyle

Cholera fight volunteers to be given permanent employment

Published

on

THERE was wide cheer from volunteers at Heroes stadium in Lusaka yesterday after President Hichilema directed that all of them regardless of the sector be given permanent employment.

This follows their endless efforts in helping bring down the numbers of cholera in the county which has claimed more than 600 lives.

President Hichilema has described the volunteers as people that chose to stand in the way of danger when others scampered.

The Head of State also announced that he and various stakeholders from the Southern Africa Development Community (SADC) have agreed to various matrixes to help ensure Cholera is completely eliminated.

Speaking when he visited the cholera treatment centre, President re-echoed that Cholera should be brought under control.

“Some people choose to stand in the way of danger when others scamper, while others fight. So to all the volunteers without exception everywhere… I am directing that all volunteers should be given permanent employment. Everyone volunteering at the cholera treatment centres across the country,” he said.

President Hichilema noted that the data base of the volunteers should not be adulterated to ensure those who have worked effortlessly are rewarded.

President Hichilema, who is also the SADC region Cholera control champion has also reemphasised that cholera should be brought under control and eliminated completely

President Hichilema said that as part of a coordinated program with stakeholders who include the World Health Organisation (WHO), matrixes of action are being collaborated to eliminate the epidemic.

He also directed that unplanned settlements will no longer be entertained as many of them are contributory factors in the cholera situation.

“No more unplanned settlements across the country,” he said.

He further directed that unplanned police stations be pulled down within the course of this week to bring back sanity and order.

“If we do that for public buildings, we will do if for private buildings. We need public order. The loss of 600 lives should not go in vain. Let us not have settlements without basic facilities. I do not want to have a routine of negative things. Whatever we do we will do it properly,” he said.

(Mwebantu, Monday, 5th February, 2024)

Advertisement
1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. Trump will Fall

    February 5, 2024 at 11:53 pm

    Dont act with your heart. Act with your head. Every time he meets selfie-seeking jobseekers he forgets he has no money in the treasury. May be they will be paid from his salary?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Lifestyle

Assualt accused Army officer’s wife now claims bed sores caused the wounds on her son

Published

on

THE Lusaka Magistrate’s Court has set March 11 this year as judgement in a case a Zambia Army officer’s wife is accused of assaulting her four-year-old step son using different weapons like a hosepipe and knife.

But when winding up her defence yesterday, the accused, Longwe Ngosa, 30, did not cause the wound marks on her son’s body but that the marks on his back were caused by bed sores.

Ngosa added that child developed bed sores when he was admitted to University Teaching Hospitals (UTH) after he injured his leg while playing.

She said he got the “sore beds” due to the sleeping position in the hospital.

Ngosa said this yesterday in a matter she is charged with assault on a child which allegedly happened between April 1 and July 31, 2023.

The housewife of Apollo Military Camp is accused of assaulting a juvenile we shall call, IB, and occasioned him actual bodily harm.

The assault the child came to light through a viral Facebook clip where IB was filmed narrating to his teacher how his mother had been beating him using different weapons, including a knife.

Ngosa was found with a case to answer by Lusaka magistrate Mutinta Mwenya and she is currently on her defence.

The accused, who initially told the court that her son was assaulted by her class teacher on several occasions, yesterday told the court that the wounds on the victim’s back were caused by bed sores.

Ngosa also claimed the other wound marks on his stomach were as a result of an allergy.

“He developed them when he ate relish he does not eat. That was an allergy,” she narrated.

Ngosa also narrated that she started living with IB when he was 15months and has always considered him as “my child and not my stepson”.

In cross examination, state prosecutor Chisenga Malama asked Ngosa to confirm that she never produced any medical record to show what happened to IB.

“No, I did not,” the accused said.

“Confirm you never made any official complaint to school about the sores on the child,” Ms Malama asked as the accused said no.

(Mwebantu, Thursday, 29th February, 2024)

Continue Reading

Lifestyle

Unnatural offence suspects provide fake names to police

Published

on

TWO male student nurses who were previously charged with unnatural offence have now been accused of providing false information to a public officer during the investigation.

Police spokesperson Rae Hamoonga said, it was revealed during the course of investigations that the individual initially identified as Chisenga Chanda, aged 20, of Matero, had misrepresented his identity.

He said the actual name is Brighton Banda, aged 25, of New Avondale, and a third-year Student Nurse at a named institution.

Similarly, Matthews Kabwe, aged 20, of Matero, is not who he claimed to be but Darius Musukwa, aged 20, of Kamwala South, and he too is a third-year Student Nurse at a named institution.

“Both individuals have been additionally charged with the offense of giving false information to a Public Officer Contrary to Section 125 of the Penal Code Act Chapter 87 of the laws of Zambia. As a result, they are currently detained in police custody,” he said.

Mr Hamoonga said police is committed to upholding the law and ensuring the accuracy of information provided during investigations.

“We urge the public to cooperate with law enforcement agencies and to refrain from engaging in activities that may obstruct or impede the course of justice,” he said.

(Mwebantu, Wednesday, 28th February, 2024)

Continue Reading

Lifestyle

Two pupils drown in Kafulafuta dam, police say 

Published

on

TWO pupils aged 14 and 12 have drowned in Kafulafuta dam in Masaiti district.

The two children drowned yesterday, Tuesday February 27, at around 15:00 hours.

Copperbelt province police commanding officer, Peacewell Mweemba said the report was made the girls grandmother, Offa Ednah, aged 53, of Masaiti.

He said Ms Ednah reported that her granddaughters drowned in Kafulafuta River.

Mr Mweemba said the victims have been identified as 14-year-old Grace Namonje, a grade six pupil, and 12-year-old Bathsheba Musaka, also in grade six at Koti ni Eden in the Shilashi area of Masaiti.

He said the two pupils left school around 14:00 hours, after which Bathsheba visited her friend’s house in Kampundu Village before deciding to accompany Grace, who lived in Saili Village.

Mr Mweemba said while on their way, the two girls opted to cross through a small path used as a road crossing over the dam.

“As they were going they decided to use a small path used as a road crossing through the dam and as they were crossing the dam they drowned after they failed to cross,” he said.

Mr Mweemba said members of the community rushed to retrieve their bodies and found that both were already dead.

He said when police visited the scene, they found that both deceased bodies had already been retrieved from the dam.

“The bodies were inspected and no physical injuries found on them. The bodies had some foam coming from their nose and mouth,” he said.

Mr Mweemba said the two bodies have since been deposited to St. Theresa’s Mission Hospital Mortuary.

(Mwebantu, Wednesday, 28th February,  2024)

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Mwebantu on Facebook

© Copyright © 2023 Mwebantu. All Rights Reserved. Zambia's leading Social news platform.