Connect with us

Lifestyle

Burundian convicted for smuggling 27 illegal immigrants

Published

on

A 50-YEAR-OLD transporter has been convicted for smuggling 27 Burundians, in a human trafficking scandal that saw him earn US$13,500.

The Department of Immigration has revealed that Amani Ntahomvukiye, was bursted in January after a tip off by a member of the public after he was seen in a house with the 27.

“He was apprehended on January 12,2023 in Chirundu following a tip-off from a concerned member of the public after being found in a house in the company of 27 Burundian nationals who illegally entered the country through Zombe Border.

“He was subsequently charged with 27 counts of human smuggling for facilitating the illegal entry of the Burundians on 9th and January 10,2023,” Department public relations officer Namati Nshinka said.

Nshinka said Investigations established that the victims of smuggling each paid Amani Ntahomvukiye about US$ 500 to take them to South Africa.

“On April 21,2023, the Lusaka Magistrate Court convicted him on all 27 counts and committed him to the High Court for sentencing. Arrangements to repatriate the victims have reached an advanced stage,” Nshinka said.

In another case the Mongu Regional Immigration Office on  April 21,2023 secured the conviction of a 60-year-old Angolan Peasant Farmer, Bartomeu Kanjamba, for failure to appear before the nearest Immigration Officer and unlawful stay contrary to Sections 12(2) and 11(3) of the Immigration and Deportation Act No.18 of 2010 of the Laws of Zambia, respectively.

Particulars of the offenses are that Bartomeu Kanjamba, on dates unknown but between 2000 and April 12,2023 in Sefula in Mongu District, entered Zambia without appearing before the nearest Immigration Officer.

Meanwhile, the Department of Immigration, between 21 and  April 23, 2023, apprehended 52 persons for various immigration offenses.

“During this period, the Department also removed 38 illegal immigrants from the country and refused four foreign nationals entry for failing to meet entry requirements,” he said

(Mwebantu, Tuesday, 25th April, 2023)

Lifestyle

Assualt accused Army officer’s wife now claims bed sores caused the wounds on her son

Published

on

THE Lusaka Magistrate’s Court has set March 11 this year as judgement in a case a Zambia Army officer’s wife is accused of assaulting her four-year-old step son using different weapons like a hosepipe and knife.

But when winding up her defence yesterday, the accused, Longwe Ngosa, 30, did not cause the wound marks on her son’s body but that the marks on his back were caused by bed sores.

Ngosa added that child developed bed sores when he was admitted to University Teaching Hospitals (UTH) after he injured his leg while playing.

She said he got the “sore beds” due to the sleeping position in the hospital.

Ngosa said this yesterday in a matter she is charged with assault on a child which allegedly happened between April 1 and July 31, 2023.

The housewife of Apollo Military Camp is accused of assaulting a juvenile we shall call, IB, and occasioned him actual bodily harm.

The assault the child came to light through a viral Facebook clip where IB was filmed narrating to his teacher how his mother had been beating him using different weapons, including a knife.

Ngosa was found with a case to answer by Lusaka magistrate Mutinta Mwenya and she is currently on her defence.

The accused, who initially told the court that her son was assaulted by her class teacher on several occasions, yesterday told the court that the wounds on the victim’s back were caused by bed sores.

Ngosa also claimed the other wound marks on his stomach were as a result of an allergy.

“He developed them when he ate relish he does not eat. That was an allergy,” she narrated.

Ngosa also narrated that she started living with IB when he was 15months and has always considered him as “my child and not my stepson”.

In cross examination, state prosecutor Chisenga Malama asked Ngosa to confirm that she never produced any medical record to show what happened to IB.

“No, I did not,” the accused said.

“Confirm you never made any official complaint to school about the sores on the child,” Ms Malama asked as the accused said no.

(Mwebantu, Thursday, 29th February, 2024)

Continue Reading

Lifestyle

Unnatural offence suspects provide fake names to police

Published

on

TWO male student nurses who were previously charged with unnatural offence have now been accused of providing false information to a public officer during the investigation.

Police spokesperson Rae Hamoonga said, it was revealed during the course of investigations that the individual initially identified as Chisenga Chanda, aged 20, of Matero, had misrepresented his identity.

He said the actual name is Brighton Banda, aged 25, of New Avondale, and a third-year Student Nurse at a named institution.

Similarly, Matthews Kabwe, aged 20, of Matero, is not who he claimed to be but Darius Musukwa, aged 20, of Kamwala South, and he too is a third-year Student Nurse at a named institution.

“Both individuals have been additionally charged with the offense of giving false information to a Public Officer Contrary to Section 125 of the Penal Code Act Chapter 87 of the laws of Zambia. As a result, they are currently detained in police custody,” he said.

Mr Hamoonga said police is committed to upholding the law and ensuring the accuracy of information provided during investigations.

“We urge the public to cooperate with law enforcement agencies and to refrain from engaging in activities that may obstruct or impede the course of justice,” he said.

(Mwebantu, Wednesday, 28th February, 2024)

Continue Reading

Lifestyle

Two pupils drown in Kafulafuta dam, police say 

Published

on

TWO pupils aged 14 and 12 have drowned in Kafulafuta dam in Masaiti district.

The two children drowned yesterday, Tuesday February 27, at around 15:00 hours.

Copperbelt province police commanding officer, Peacewell Mweemba said the report was made the girls grandmother, Offa Ednah, aged 53, of Masaiti.

He said Ms Ednah reported that her granddaughters drowned in Kafulafuta River.

Mr Mweemba said the victims have been identified as 14-year-old Grace Namonje, a grade six pupil, and 12-year-old Bathsheba Musaka, also in grade six at Koti ni Eden in the Shilashi area of Masaiti.

He said the two pupils left school around 14:00 hours, after which Bathsheba visited her friend’s house in Kampundu Village before deciding to accompany Grace, who lived in Saili Village.

Mr Mweemba said while on their way, the two girls opted to cross through a small path used as a road crossing over the dam.

“As they were going they decided to use a small path used as a road crossing through the dam and as they were crossing the dam they drowned after they failed to cross,” he said.

Mr Mweemba said members of the community rushed to retrieve their bodies and found that both were already dead.

He said when police visited the scene, they found that both deceased bodies had already been retrieved from the dam.

“The bodies were inspected and no physical injuries found on them. The bodies had some foam coming from their nose and mouth,” he said.

Mr Mweemba said the two bodies have since been deposited to St. Theresa’s Mission Hospital Mortuary.

(Mwebantu, Wednesday, 28th February,  2024)

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Mwebantu on Facebook

© Copyright © 2023 Mwebantu. All Rights Reserved. Zambia's leading Social news platform.