BISHOP of Monze, Moses Hamungole has been put to rest at Monze’s Diocese of the Sacred Heart of Jesus Christ today.
The Bishop died on the 13th of January at Levy Mwanawasa hospital after succumbing to COVID-19.
Byta FMs Brian Hantuba reports from Monze that speaking at the burial, Southern Province Permanent Secretary Liomba Mwangala said the death of the Bishop is a loss for the region as a family.
He highlighted that the late Bishop was a man who preached nothing but peace and development without being political.
Mwangala encouraged other members of the clergy to emulate the conduct of the faith leader.
Parish Chairperson Teddy Michelo bemoaned the loss of the Bishop, saying the church is lost without his leadership.
He added that the situation has worsened by the fact that the church has not mourned together as a family because of COVID-19 restrictions on gathering.
Parish Priest Deogratious Kaundula thanked Monze Mission and Levy Mwanawasa Hospitals for their efforts in treating the Bishop.
He quoted one of the Bishop’s last sermons that encourages Christians to call on God during challenging times.
(Source: Byta FM)
COVID-19 cases worries Health Minister
THE Ministry of health says it has seen an increase in the number of COVID-19 daily cases, test positivity and the spread of disease across the country.
Minister of health Sylvia Masabo said that in the last 24 hours the country recorded 311 new COVID-19 cases and three deaths.
She said two of the three deaths are COVID-19 deaths saying the individuals died due to complications directly attributed to COVID-19.
Ms Masabo said in a statement that the cumulative number of confirmed cases recorded in the country is 336649 with 330658 (98%) recoveries.
“We currently have 1948 active cases, 29 of whom are admitted to hospital,eight of these being new admissions in the last 24 hours. Of those admitted, nine are on oxygen therapy and three are now in critical condition,”she said.
She also said that the current prevailing COVID 19 cases are reportedly driven by a sub-variant of the Omicron virus which is now called XBB.
Ms Masabo said the COVID-19 virus keeps generating new forms of itself as it continues to multiply across the globe.
She said similar to the Omicron virus, the XBB is said to have a high ability to pass from one person to another and here in Zambia we have confirmed that the current increase in the number of cases we are seeing is driven by this XBB.
Ms Masabo said the Ministry and other stakeholders have instituted measures to protect people from getting COVID-19.
She said some of the interventions were strengthened community and facility surveillance to ensure prompt identification and reporting of cases and intensified testing among other measures.
Ms Masabo also urged the public to be conscious of cholera and other diarrheal diseases.
She said every person must manage their waste saying the state of cities, markets, bus stops and community gathering places must be improved
(Mwebantu, Friday, 13th January, 2023)
COVID cases at Hillcrest Boarding school contained
OVER 20 cases of COVID-19 at Hillcrest Boarding school in Livingstone were recorded last week.
However, the education authorities have said that the cases have been contained and a total recovery rate of patients attained.
District Education Board Secretary (DEBS) Aiden Kambunga said more than 20 pupils tested positive for COVID-19 at Hillcrest Boarding school.
“We had roughly over 20 pupils that tested positive for COVID-19. Fortunately, the pupils have all recovered and with help of the Ministry of Health, we managed to contain the situation.
The school has been fumigated and we have since not recorded any new cases,” he said.
He added that the education body will ensure that all COVID-19 guidelines are followed and adhered to in schools, because education cannot be put on hold again.
(Mwebantu, Sunday, May, 29th, 2022)
Zambia issues new revised COVID-19 guidelines at points of entry
THE Ministry of Health and Zambia National Public Health Institute (ZNPHI) have issued new revised COVID-19 guidelines for strengthening surveillance at points of entry for Zambia.
According to the guidelines issued by Zambia National Public Health Institute (ZNPHI) director general Prof. Roman Chilengi and Ministry of Health permanent secretary Prof Lackson Kasonka, the
guidelines would apply to all international travellers entering through the Points of Entry to Zambia effective March 28, 2022.
“Fully vaccinated travellers do not require any form of negative COVID test results but shall be required to provide proof of a full vaccination status. ‘fully vaccinated’ means complete doses of a vaccine for example first and second dose of a two-dose COVID-19 vaccines,” they stated.
The MoH and ZNPHI stated that international travelers who are not fully vaccinated must show proof of a COVID19 PCR test for a sample collected within 72 hours before departure from the country of origin.
“Re-testing at own cost will be applied for travellers who do not meet the above stipulation. In case of a positive result, self-quarantine at owner’s cost will be mandatory; following local Zambian protocols. Children below the age of 12 years are exempt from these measures.
Travellers from Zambia must ensure that the observe the guidelines of the countries they wish to visit,” it stated.
The MoH and ZNPHI further stated that
all arriving passengers will have their temperature checked.
“All travellers should hand over their health declaration forms to the Port Health
Officers,” stated MoH and ZNPHI.
(Mwebantu, Thursday, March 24th, 2022)