THE Ndola Teaching Hospital(NTH) hospitals has started swabbing brought in dead (BID) bodies and also conducting verbal autopsy on relatives of those dying at home.
Senior medical superintendent Joseph Musowoya has told Mwebantu in an interview that the move is aimed at preventing any spread of Corona virus among community members.
In an interview, Dr Musowoya said the hospital is also applying other measures to mitigate the spread of the virus with the hospital premises.
“We are swabbing all BIDs bodies, and on their relatives, we are conducting verbal autopsy,” Dr Musowoya said.
He said the hospital has also placed measure to protect mortuary attendants handling the BIDs.
Dr further said the hospital is also disinfecting the mortuary and fridges of those confirmed cases.
“We have oriented our mortuary attendants to handle all bodies and treat them as Covid-19 bodies. They are also masked and are putting on complete overalls,” he said.
He however said the consumption of personal protection systems is high and hospital is doing its best to address the issue by ensuring that all health workers are protected.
And Dr Musowoya said the hospital has in this week recorded eight patients who are on oxygen out of the nine.
Meanwhile Dr Musowoya has reiterated the need for people to stay away from the hospital.
Dr Musowoya said only relatives who have patients are critically ill and need to be aided will have one bedsiders at a time.
“For patients who are very ill, the hospital will allow only one bedsiders but for patients capable of doing most things on their own there is no need for a bedsiders, he said.
Dr Musowoya further encouraged patients and their families to follow what is required in order to help reduce the spread of COVID-19.
He explained that a hospital is not only a place for people to get cured but also a hub for most of the infectious diseases such as tuberculosis, diarrhoea, including COVID-19 that people could contract.
Dr Musowoya said the security manning the hospital entrance are not working against anyone but merely doing the work that they had been mandated to do.
Ndola woman undergoes chemotherapy, mastectomy, before being told cancer diagnosis was wrong
A NDOLA woman was left traumatized after undergoing months of chemotherapy and having her right breast removed – only to be told doctors got her cancer diagnosis wrong.
The woman has since taken doctors at Ndola Teaching Hospital and the State to court for misdiagnosing a her with breast cancer.
In a statement of claim filed in the Ndola High Court, Violet Mtonga state that in 2016, she felt a lump in her right breast and went to the hospital where a biopsy was taken.
She said she then was advised that the removal of the whole breast was the only treatment followed by chemotherapy radiation at the Cancer Diseases Hospital in Lusaka.
She said upon the doctor’s advice, she consented to the total mastectomy of her right breast.
Ms Mtonga contends that after the operation, doctors from Firm A were presented with two contradictory reports, with the earlier stating that there was cancer and the later showing that there was no cancer.
She said when she went to the cancer diseases hospital in Lusaka, a doctor could not attend to her as documents she was given from NTH and Firm A lacked details and was sent back to Ndola to undergo more tests.
Ms Mtonga further state that subsequent medical tests showed no presence of any cancer and has since not received any treatment relating to the alleged cancer.
She claim that the diagnosis made on November 13, 2017, stated that she was suffering from invasive ductual carcinoma cancer was a misdiagnosis, a mistake no reasonably qualified professional could have made.
“The senior medical superintendent and the Attorney General and their doctors in Firm A and those in the Ndola laboratory owned the plaintiff a duty of care to offer the plaintiff safe treatment,” she stated
Ms Mtonga now wants the court to order for special damages of medical expenses relating to various tests, examinations and transport costs altogether at K 8,425.
Calling patients with Non communicable Disease (NCDs) to take part in an online survey
Background and rationale for the study:
As you might be aware, the COVID-19 pandemic affects people with Non-communicable diseases (NCDs) more severely than the general public. We also know that people with NCDs require constant supply of medicines and remaining in constant touch with their doctors. COVID 19 has disrupted services in several countries and could have impacted negatively access to care for persons with NCDs in Zambia.
We have since designed a study that will help us understand the challenges and other issues patients and families are facing that might be directly or indirectly related to COVID 19. Patients with NCDs like hypertension, diabetes, cancer and other chronic diseases are well come to participate.
This will be an online survey. You or your relative need just need follow the link to get to the survey.
The first page explains the purpose of the study and then there is a section where you need to provide consent to take part.
The study has been approved by research regulators. If you have any questions, we have added our contact details.
Looking forward to your participation. Click here to access the survey: https://stmarys.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/covid-19-pandemic-and-health-seeking-behaviours
Environment Africa & Terre Des Hommes launch Global Campaign to recognize Children’s rights
Enviroment Africa and Terre Des Hommes launch ambitious Global campaign calling on Governments to recognize Children’s rights to a Healthy environment.
Today, 28 October 2020 Environment Africa and Terre des Hommes are launching an international campaign called “MY PLANET – MY RIGHTS” urging governments to recognize children’s right to a healthy environment through the adoption of a resolution on the human right to a healthy environment and an Optional Protocol to the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child (UNCRC).
As part of the campaign, Environment Africa and Terre des Hommes are initiating a global online petition which will be delivered to the UN Secretary General and the Chair of the United Nations Committee on the Rights of the Child on 21 September 2021.
As they launch the MY PLANET MY RIGHTS campaign, Terre des Hommes, Environment Africa and their partners are calling upon the Government of the Republic of Zambia to scale up environmental awareness, treatment and remediation work in lead contaminated areas in Kabwe and other mining communities in Zambia.
The MY PLANET, MY RIGHTS campaign is today being launched at Urban Bliss Hotel in Kabwe and the Livingstone City Council Civic Centre in Livingstone.
We call upon all Zambians to participate in this campaign by signing the petition on the link below:
MY PLANET – MY RIGHTS campaign and online petition: http://www.my-planet-my-rights.org
Environment Africa contact person: Namo Chuma / firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0975 263888