Iranian MP with virus dies as outbreak spreads. Death toll rises to 43 with over 593 confirmed cases, according to health ministry in Iran.
Mohammad Ali Ramazani Dastak is believed to have tested positive for the illness a few days ago and died this morning. He died Saturday morning after being admitted to hospital with “influenza and chemical injuries” sustained in the Iran-Iraq war, according to the Iranian Students News Agency.
“Unfortunately nine people have died of the virus in the last 24 hours,” Kianush Jahanpur told state TV. “The death toll is 43 now.”
“The new confirmed infected cases since yesterday is 205 that makes the total number of confirmed infected people 593.”
The virus is spreading rapidly in the Islamic Republic and Iran has the world’s highest death toll outside of China, the centre of the outbreak.
Former President Rupiah Banda diagnosed with cancer of the colon
21-year-old woman sentenced to three years simple imprisonment for aborting her seven-month pregnancy in Nchelenge district
THE Mansa High Court has convicted and sentenced a 21-year-old woman of Nchelenge district to three years’ simple imprisonment, suspended for two years, for aborting her seven-month pregnancy.
This in a case in which Mary Manda was charged with child destruction contrary section 221(1) of the penal code.
According to evidence from Chungu Chama, a nurse at Chiengi health centre, on August 31, 2019, Manda was brought by her mother to this hospital after she complained of a running stomach.
Ms Chama told the court that when examined her she discovered that Mary was in labor and that there was no fetal heart sound.
She said when delivering her, she found some drugs inserted in her vagina.
Ms Chama said when asked why the tablets were inserted, Manda kept quiet.
She said after delivery, Manda’s mother then instructed her to call police to question her daughter on what happened.
“I showed the tablets to the patient and I asked her what the drugs were doing there, but she did not answer, when I asked her again she just kept quiet a few minutes later the baby came out already dead, then we removed the placenta and we continued managing the patient because she was bleeding,” she narrated.
And when the matter came up for judgement on Friday last week, Judge Derrick Mulenga reprimanded Manda for committing such an offence, he described the act as an abomination.
“I have taken into account the cries of her mother, when she appeared before this court, she showed to me that she is a woman of velour who does not tolerate illegalities despite the fact that the convict is her only child, she was ready to surrender her to the police.
That’s what it should be, the conduct of the convict is quiet bad. An abortion is a painful thing a child goes through,” judge Mulenga said.
He sentenced her to three years, suspended for two years.
“You are luck you have come at a time when there is COVID-19 but what will happen is that when you commit another offence you will be punished.
I will give you 36 months’ simple imprisonment but I will suspend for 24 months, on condition that you do not commit a similar offence in 12 months, you will be moving in your village but know that you are a prisoner,” he said.
Ndola Teaching Hospital (NTH) hospitals to start swabbing brought in dead (BID) bodies for COVID-19
THE Ndola Teaching Hospital(NTH) hospitals has started swabbing brought in dead (BID) bodies and also conducting verbal autopsy on relatives of those dying at home.
Senior medical superintendent Joseph Musowoya has told Mwebantu in an interview that the move is aimed at preventing any spread of Corona virus among community members.
In an interview, Dr Musowoya said the hospital is also applying other measures to mitigate the spread of the virus with the hospital premises.
“We are swabbing all BIDs bodies, and on their relatives, we are conducting verbal autopsy,” Dr Musowoya said.
He said the hospital has also placed measure to protect mortuary attendants handling the BIDs.
Dr further said the hospital is also disinfecting the mortuary and fridges of those confirmed cases.
“We have oriented our mortuary attendants to handle all bodies and treat them as Covid-19 bodies. They are also masked and are putting on complete overalls,” he said.
He however said the consumption of personal protection systems is high and hospital is doing its best to address the issue by ensuring that all health workers are protected.
And Dr Musowoya said the hospital has in this week recorded eight patients who are on oxygen out of the nine.
Meanwhile Dr Musowoya has reiterated the need for people to stay away from the hospital.
Dr Musowoya said only relatives who have patients are critically ill and need to be aided will have one bedsiders at a time.
“For patients who are very ill, the hospital will allow only one bedsiders but for patients capable of doing most things on their own there is no need for a bedsiders, he said.
Dr Musowoya further encouraged patients and their families to follow what is required in order to help reduce the spread of COVID-19.
He explained that a hospital is not only a place for people to get cured but also a hub for most of the infectious diseases such as tuberculosis, diarrhoea, including COVID-19 that people could contract.
Dr Musowoya said the security manning the hospital entrance are not working against anyone but merely doing the work that they had been mandated to do.