- Divas Summer Festival 2016 at Chainama Hotel on 3rd September 2016Posted 2 days ago
- Three die people on the spot in three separate road traffic accidentsPosted 2 days ago
- 12 foreign nationals were convicted for various immigration related offencesPosted 2 days ago
- My Perfect Wedding Zambia Coming soon on Zambezi Magic!Posted 2 days ago
- Zambians should continue living in harmony and safeguard the security of the nation, says William Ng’ambiPosted 2 days ago
- Calls for President Lungu to stand down are legally flawed says Patrick MvungaPosted 2 days ago
- Blogger Kamota Mayondi captures Lusaka social scene with HuaweiPosted 4 days ago
- ZNBS donates towards Catherine fightPosted 4 days ago
- Consumers demanding more from smartphones-HuaweiPosted 4 days ago
- Verification of Ballot Papers Account Form progressing well, says Alex MwansaPosted 4 days ago
Late Cardinal Mazombwe body to be taken to Chipata
- Updated: August 31, 2013
ZAMBIA Episcopal Conference (ZEC) says it will tomorrow September 1
transport the body of the late Cardinal Medardo Joseph Mazombwe by ZAF
plane to Chipata’s Anne’s Cathedral tomorrow.
ZEC spokesperson Paul Samasumo said this is due to the overwhelming
number of people from the Eastern Province who have expressed interest
to travel to Lusaka for the funeral.
Father Samasumo said in a statement that the body will depart from
Lusaka’s City Airport at 11.00 hrs.
“The delegation of 30 priests, religious Sisters and Brothers,
Catholic men, women and youth will be led by Chipata Diocese Bishop,
Right Rev. George Lungu. In Chipata, there will be a Funeral Mass at
St. Anne’s Cathedral grounds starting at 15.00hrs, Sunday 1 September
2013,” he said.
Fr Samasumo said the body of the Cardinal will then lie in State,
overnight, at Chipata’s St. Anne’s Cathedral to enable Christians and
other residents of Chipata pay their last respects till the early
hours of Monday.
“On Monday, September 2, at 11.00 hrs, the body of the late Cardinal
will be transported back to Lusaka’s Cathedral of the Child Jesus in
time for the body to lie in state at the Cathedral starting at 14.30
hrs,” he said.
Fr Samasumo said the body of Cardinal Mazombwe will be in the
Cathedral of the Child Jesus from Monday, 2 September at 14.30hours
till the requiem Mass of Tuesday, 3 September 2013 at 09.00hrs.
He said after the requiem Mass, the body of the Cardinal will be laid
to rest within the grounds of the Cathedral of the Child Jesus.
Fr Samasumo said there will be no body viewing on Tuesday after the
requiem Mass and that people wishing to pay their last respects to the
Cardinal are encouraged to do so in the Cathedral on Monday starting
at 14.30hrs till Tuesday morning.
“The Zambia Episcopal Conference would like to express its profound
gratitude to the Government of the Republic of Zambia and the Zambia
Air Force for assisting with transporting the body of the Cardinal
from Lusaka to Chipata and back,” he said.
He said all other arrangements and spiritual activities remain
unchanged and that a book of condolences will reopen on Sunday, 1
September from 14.00 hrs to 17hrs and on Monday, 2 September 2013 from
08.00hrs till 17.00hrs at the Cathedral of the Child Jesus’ Youth