- NGOCC expresses gratitude that Chilando Chitangala is the deputy Mayor of LusakaPosted 4 hours ago
- Lusaka man tells court why he took on a second wifePosted 6 hours ago
- Three drown in a freak boating accident in Kafue National ParkPosted 7 hours ago
- Proflight Zambia has the right connections for World Tourism DayPosted 7 hours ago
- RTSA to ascertain the cause of the accident were 22 people died involving a Power Tools Bus in SerenjePosted 8 hours ago
- DEC arrests five people for trafficking in Heroin and CocainePosted 8 hours ago
- President Lungu swears in Patrick Matibini as SpeakerPosted 3 days ago
- A 74 year old man of Kasupe area in Lusaka West commits suicidePosted 3 days ago
- Trevor Noah to host MAMA 2016Posted 3 days ago
- Saudi Arabia congratulates President LunguPosted 3 days ago
Man threatens to kill wife for bearing his children
- Updated: July 30, 2012
A WOMAN of Lusaka’s Kamwala South Township narrated to the Lusaka Boma Court how her husband of 11 has been threatening to kill her for bearing his children.
Clara Nyondwe 31, told senior court magistrate Lazarous Mwape that their home always turns into a war zone each time she falls pregnant by him because he does not want to have children; a situation she said she was unaware off.
This was in a case in which Nyondwe sued Derrick Bwalya 38 for divorce. The two who got married in 2001 have two children together. However, they have been on separation for eight months.
Nyondwe said they were happily married until she fell pregnant. She said shockingly, Bwalya was agitated about the pregnancy and commanded her not to conceive again or he would kill her.
“He threatened to kill me when we were expecting our first child. He even ordered me not to ever get pregnant, I found that extremely surprising,” she said.
Nyondwe said Bwalya does not want children because he has multiple girlfriends who she said he never informs about being married and having children.
She said Bwalya was always threatening and reminding her to be cautious so that she never gets pregnant for him or he would kill her.
“I am tired of being threatened, and I do not want to die. I am afraid that I cannot continue living with him because he might kill me one day. That is the reason I want a divorce,” Nyondwe said.
In his statement Bwalya who did not refute threatening Nyondwe said he did that when drunk and usually had no control of his deeds.
“I am a changed man and if given another chance I would not do that to her because I still want her as my wife. I did all that out of anger; I would not intentionally hurt my wife. It is unfortunate that she still insists on a divorce even after telling her that I have changed,” Bwalya said.
Passing judgment, the court which granted divorce noted that it would be unfair to force them to stay together when one person does not want especially that there was evidently no love but threats of violence.
The court ordered Bwalya to pay Nyondwe K10 million as compensation with an initial installment of K1million August monthend. He will then be expected to pay K250, 000 monthly installments.
The court also ordered him to maintain his children by paying K200, 000 monthly.