- Divas Summer Festival 2016 at Chainama Hotel on 3rd September 2016Posted 3 days ago
- Three die people on the spot in three separate road traffic accidentsPosted 3 days ago
- 12 foreign nationals were convicted for various immigration related offencesPosted 3 days ago
- My Perfect Wedding Zambia Coming soon on Zambezi Magic!Posted 3 days ago
- Zambians should continue living in harmony and safeguard the security of the nation, says William Ng’ambiPosted 3 days ago
- Calls for President Lungu to stand down are legally flawed says Patrick MvungaPosted 3 days ago
- Blogger Kamota Mayondi captures Lusaka social scene with HuaweiPosted 5 days ago
- ZNBS donates towards Catherine fightPosted 5 days ago
- Consumers demanding more from smartphones-HuaweiPosted 5 days ago
- Verification of Ballot Papers Account Form progressing well, says Alex MwansaPosted 5 days ago
East MMD endorses party directive to expel 9 MPs serving in Govt.
- Updated: July 14, 2012
The Movement for Multi-Party Democracy (MMD) in Eastern Province has endorsed and supported calls by party president Nevers Mumba to fire all MMD Members of parliaments (MPs) who will fail to relinquish their ministerial positions in the PF Government.
MMD Eastern Province Information and Publicity Secretary, Joseph Banda says the party in the province is in full support of the decision Dr. Mumba has taken saying the move has been long overdue.
Mr. Banda said the party in the province wants to see all its MPs serving in the PF Government to resign or face dismissal, stressing that the party in the province is ready to face all ailing MPs in by elections should they fail to abide by the party directive.
He warned the MPs coming from Eastern Province that the party in the province will not support them if they go against the party’s directives.
Mr. Banda said this in a telephone interview with ZANIS from Chipata today.
He has since urged the affected MPs to relinquish their ministerial positions as per party directive and concentrate on representing the people that elected them into office.
The MMD Eastern Province Information and Publicity Secretary argued that being a minister while coming from the opposition is compromising their status as they can longer represent the values of the party through which they were voted into office.
Mr. Banda added that the situation had the potential to weaken the opposition as the opposition MPs serving in Government would become disloyal to their party.
He stated that multi-partism is about competition and offering the best ideas to the people and that the appointment of opposition MPs in the PF Government defeats this purpose.
He further explained that the PF while in opposition rejected its 22 Members of Parliament and called them rebels for working with the MMD Government then and thus the MMD also feel the same way.
The MMD has three MPs from Eastern Province who are serving as Deputy Ministers in the PF government.
These include Nyimba MP Forrie Tembo who is Deputy Minister of Local Government and Housing, Nicholas Banda of Kapoche, the Deputy Minister of Agriculture and Livestock and Isaac Banda of Lumezi who is Deputy Minister of Mines.
MMD President, Dr. Nevers Mumba yesterday warned MMD MPs serving in the PF Government as Deputy Ministers to resign or face expulsion from the opposition party-ZANIS