- Emirates and Angola announce strategic airline partnership in respect of TAAG Linhas Aéreas De AngolaPosted 14 mins ago
- Banks must provide safe and secure transactions for businesses says Paul RichardsPosted 2 days ago
- Steven Masumba sentenced to 12 months imprisonmentPosted 2 days ago
- ZAMBEEF bosses, Francis Grogan and Carl Irwin renew partnershipPosted 2 days ago
- Leaders should be listening to artistes says Rupiah BandaPosted 3 days ago
- President Sata arrives back home from New YorkPosted 3 days ago
- President Sata leaves New York amid reports of ill healthPosted 3 days ago
- Police in Lusaka arrest Bishop for aggravated robberyPosted 5 days ago
- Latest Vacancy:Programme Officer-Infrastructure Development (Transport / Energy) at JICA ZambiaPosted 5 days ago
- My Father is well says Mulenga SataPosted 5 days ago
Explosive Device Kills Miner in Mufulira
- Updated: January 7, 2014
A THIRTY-ONE-YEAR old miner of Mopani Copper Mines (MCM) in Mufulira
has died after an explosive device exploded on him, blowing off his head in
an underground mine accident.
Acting Copperbelt Police chief Joyce Kasosa confirmed the incident in
Ms Kasosa identified the deceased as Worby Chichalwa ,31, of house
number 379/F Kankoyo Township in Mufulira who died on Monday following
an explosive accident at MCM’s Mufulira Division.
She said the accident happened around 15:00 hours at 1, 062 metres
deep underground where the deceased was blasting the ground using
“One of the explosives he was trying to ignite accidentally exploded
on his body blowing his head in the process,” she said.
Ms Kasosa said Mr Chichalwa, apart from his head being blown off had
his right hand cut off by the explosive.
Ms Kasosa said the body of the deceased was taken to Malcom Hospital
mortuary in Mufulira.