- Anti-Corruption Commission arrests Southern Province Permanent Secretary Annie SinyangwePosted 11 hours ago
- Hakainde Hichilema Speaks at the prestigious Royal Africa Society in LondonPosted 12 hours ago
- ZANACO Launches a Deposit Mobilization Campaign dubbed “the Ponyamo Uwine Promotion’’Posted 12 hours ago
- DEC arrests Somali national for trafficking in 33 bundles of MiraaPosted 15 hours ago
- Zambia Police Service suspends the parking of motor vehicles at police stationsPosted 15 hours ago
- ZANACO Announces K 143 Million ProfitPosted 1 day ago
- Livingstone Vet Officer Convicted for Abuse of Authority of OfficePosted 1 day ago
- Paddy Mukando:The Shy Opera Star, DJ and TV Commercial ActorPosted 2 days ago
- Ambassador Mulonda confers with United States Ambassador to Zambia in WashingtonPosted 2 days ago
- Lusaka, Maputo explore areas of cooperationPosted 2 days ago
Explosive Device Kills Miner in Mufulira
- Updated: January 7, 2014
A THIRTY-ONE-YEAR old miner of Mopani Copper Mines (MCM) in Mufulira
has died after an explosive device exploded on him, blowing off his head in
an underground mine accident.
Acting Copperbelt Police chief Joyce Kasosa confirmed the incident in
Ms Kasosa identified the deceased as Worby Chichalwa ,31, of house
number 379/F Kankoyo Township in Mufulira who died on Monday following
an explosive accident at MCM’s Mufulira Division.
She said the accident happened around 15:00 hours at 1, 062 metres
deep underground where the deceased was blasting the ground using
“One of the explosives he was trying to ignite accidentally exploded
on his body blowing his head in the process,” she said.
Ms Kasosa said Mr Chichalwa, apart from his head being blown off had
his right hand cut off by the explosive.
Ms Kasosa said the body of the deceased was taken to Malcom Hospital
mortuary in Mufulira.