- ZPPA director testifies in Masebo TribunalPosted 1 day ago
- Immigration Department Arrests 56 Zimbabwean women, 3 Egyptian carpet tradersPosted 3 days ago
- The International Women’s Club Donates K 263,000 to 29 organisations in ZambiaPosted 3 days ago
- Police disperse Luvales in Zambezi protesting over education curriculumPosted 3 days ago
- UK hails Kaseba for her role in girls and women’s welfarePosted 3 days ago
- Headman impregnates daughterPosted 3 days ago
- Zambia records K283 million trade surplusPosted 2 weeks ago
- Parliament ratifies two Supreme Court Judges and Five High Court JudgesPosted 2 weeks ago
- Kwacha fails to recover before February endsPosted 2 weeks ago
- Opposition MPs’ conduct is disorderly and not permitted by our Constitution says SpeakerPosted 2 weeks ago
Explosive Device Kills Miner in Mufulira
- Updated: January 7, 2014
A THIRTY-ONE-YEAR old miner of Mopani Copper Mines (MCM) in Mufulira
has died after an explosive device exploded on him, blowing off his head in
an underground mine accident.
Acting Copperbelt Police chief Joyce Kasosa confirmed the incident in
Ms Kasosa identified the deceased as Worby Chichalwa ,31, of house
number 379/F Kankoyo Township in Mufulira who died on Monday following
an explosive accident at MCM’s Mufulira Division.
She said the accident happened around 15:00 hours at 1, 062 metres
deep underground where the deceased was blasting the ground using
“One of the explosives he was trying to ignite accidentally exploded
on his body blowing his head in the process,” she said.
Ms Kasosa said Mr Chichalwa, apart from his head being blown off had
his right hand cut off by the explosive.
Ms Kasosa said the body of the deceased was taken to Malcom Hospital
mortuary in Mufulira.