- One child dies in bus accident on Ndola-Kapiri roadPosted 2 days ago
- Minister of Tourism and Arts Jean Kapata dissolves ZAWA BoardPosted 2 days ago
- Lusaka High Court throws out General Kanene’s application against convictionPosted 2 days ago
- DEC in Eastern Province has arrests six peasant farmers in Chief Chinunda’s area for unlawful cultivation of fresh cannabis plantsPosted 3 days ago
- 22 year old female Israeli national arrested for trafficking in cannabisPosted 3 days ago
- Continent’s energy and water leaders join forces to discuss challenges and celebrate successes at annual African Utility Week in Cape Town in MayPosted 3 days ago
- Cost of living goes up says JCTRPosted 4 days ago
- Eight people die on the spot in a bus and truck head on collision in PembaPosted 4 days ago
- 9 months old baby dies in an inferno in Lusaka, police sayPosted 4 days ago
- Fastjet to introduce a third flight from Dar es Salaam to LusakaPosted 4 days ago
Explosive Device Kills Miner in Mufulira
- Updated: January 7, 2014
A THIRTY-ONE-YEAR old miner of Mopani Copper Mines (MCM) in Mufulira
has died after an explosive device exploded on him, blowing off his head in
an underground mine accident.
Acting Copperbelt Police chief Joyce Kasosa confirmed the incident in
Ms Kasosa identified the deceased as Worby Chichalwa ,31, of house
number 379/F Kankoyo Township in Mufulira who died on Monday following
an explosive accident at MCM’s Mufulira Division.
She said the accident happened around 15:00 hours at 1, 062 metres
deep underground where the deceased was blasting the ground using
“One of the explosives he was trying to ignite accidentally exploded
on his body blowing his head in the process,” she said.
Ms Kasosa said Mr Chichalwa, apart from his head being blown off had
his right hand cut off by the explosive.
Ms Kasosa said the body of the deceased was taken to Malcom Hospital
mortuary in Mufulira.