- 162 cases of child sexual abuse survivors recorded at UTH in the month of OctoberPosted 15 mins ago
- RTSA convicts over 300 motorists for various road traffic offencesPosted 29 mins ago
- KCM closes Nchanga Underground Mine, 2500 people to lose jobsPosted 42 mins ago
- The sluggish world economy has affected the Kwacha says Chinese AmbassadorPosted 57 mins ago
- President Lungu to hold a press conference at State HousePosted 24 hours ago
- Chisenga Muyoya becomes first Zambian to win JCI AwardPosted 1 day ago
- Taxi driver sentenced to 25 years imprisonment for stabbing a woman with a screw driverPosted 1 day ago
- Child marriage is a violation of a child’s rights, says Vincent MwalePosted 1 day ago
- 11 people arrested in three provinces for trafficking in over 1.9 tonnes of cannabisPosted 1 day ago
- Chipimo Pulls Out of 2016 Presidential RacePosted 1 day ago
Explosive Device Kills Miner in Mufulira
- Updated: January 7, 2014
A THIRTY-ONE-YEAR old miner of Mopani Copper Mines (MCM) in Mufulira
has died after an explosive device exploded on him, blowing off his head in
an underground mine accident.
Acting Copperbelt Police chief Joyce Kasosa confirmed the incident in
Ms Kasosa identified the deceased as Worby Chichalwa ,31, of house
number 379/F Kankoyo Township in Mufulira who died on Monday following
an explosive accident at MCM’s Mufulira Division.
She said the accident happened around 15:00 hours at 1, 062 metres
deep underground where the deceased was blasting the ground using
“One of the explosives he was trying to ignite accidentally exploded
on his body blowing his head in the process,” she said.
Ms Kasosa said Mr Chichalwa, apart from his head being blown off had
his right hand cut off by the explosive.
Ms Kasosa said the body of the deceased was taken to Malcom Hospital
mortuary in Mufulira.