- Mangango polls openPosted 19 hours ago
- Do not eat game meat from unauthorised vendors, ZAWA warns publicPosted 2 days ago
- 16 year old boy attempts to rape 82 year old woman in MbalaPosted 2 days ago
- Kalabo court sentences woman to six months imprisonment for unlawful possession of bush meatPosted 4 days ago
- Zambia and Argentina embark on strengthening cooperationPosted 4 days ago
- Chipolopolo regroups for Sudan encounterPosted 4 days ago
- Former Mozambique President Chisano expected in ZambiaPosted 4 days ago
- BancABC and African Life partner to deploy life assurance across ZambiaPosted 5 days ago
- Speaker Matibini hopes for stronger ties with African ParliamentPosted 5 days ago
- ZAMBEEF opens butchery number 122Posted 5 days ago
Explosive Device Kills Miner in Mufulira
- Updated: January 7, 2014
A THIRTY-ONE-YEAR old miner of Mopani Copper Mines (MCM) in Mufulira
has died after an explosive device exploded on him, blowing off his head in
an underground mine accident.
Acting Copperbelt Police chief Joyce Kasosa confirmed the incident in
Ms Kasosa identified the deceased as Worby Chichalwa ,31, of house
number 379/F Kankoyo Township in Mufulira who died on Monday following
an explosive accident at MCM’s Mufulira Division.
She said the accident happened around 15:00 hours at 1, 062 metres
deep underground where the deceased was blasting the ground using
“One of the explosives he was trying to ignite accidentally exploded
on his body blowing his head in the process,” she said.
Ms Kasosa said Mr Chichalwa, apart from his head being blown off had
his right hand cut off by the explosive.
Ms Kasosa said the body of the deceased was taken to Malcom Hospital
mortuary in Mufulira.