- Cabinet asks Dr. Guy Scott to resignPosted 3 days ago
- Guy Scott refuses to resignPosted 3 days ago
- Rupiah Banda receives a thunderous welcome in KasamaPosted 6 days ago
- MMD Shall Unite and Prevail says Rupiah BandaPosted 1 week ago
- Edgar Lungu meets with President Robert MugabePosted 1 week ago
- Zambian Amethysts create 100 good deeds braceletPosted 1 week ago
- Disclosure of Funding for Political CampaignsPosted 1 week ago
- Two arrested for illegal trading and unlawful possession of over 700 logs of the Mukula treePosted 1 week ago
- Hakainde Hichilema bemoans poverty levels in NakondePosted 2 weeks ago
- We will not use public resources says Patriotic FrontPosted 2 weeks ago
Explosive Device Kills Miner in Mufulira
- Updated: January 7, 2014
A THIRTY-ONE-YEAR old miner of Mopani Copper Mines (MCM) in Mufulira
has died after an explosive device exploded on him, blowing off his head in
an underground mine accident.
Acting Copperbelt Police chief Joyce Kasosa confirmed the incident in
Ms Kasosa identified the deceased as Worby Chichalwa ,31, of house
number 379/F Kankoyo Township in Mufulira who died on Monday following
an explosive accident at MCM’s Mufulira Division.
She said the accident happened around 15:00 hours at 1, 062 metres
deep underground where the deceased was blasting the ground using
“One of the explosives he was trying to ignite accidentally exploded
on his body blowing his head in the process,” she said.
Ms Kasosa said Mr Chichalwa, apart from his head being blown off had
his right hand cut off by the explosive.
Ms Kasosa said the body of the deceased was taken to Malcom Hospital
mortuary in Mufulira.