- Nevers Mumba maintains MMD NEC meeting is set for month endPosted 10 hours ago
- We will continue yapping to demand for the release of the draft constitution says Fr. Leonard ChitiPosted 11 hours ago
- Police launch manhunt for bandits who snatched K541,736.00 cash in LuanshyaPosted 14 hours ago
- Unsafe Abortions in Zambia worry GovernmentPosted 15 hours ago
- 35 people killed in Easter weekend accidentsPosted 15 hours ago
- Dora and her team should leave MMD says Bowman LusamboPosted 1 day ago
- President Sata mourns Dennis LiwewePosted 1 day ago
- One child dies in bus accident on Ndola-Kapiri roadPosted 7 days ago
- Minister of Tourism and Arts Jean Kapata dissolves ZAWA BoardPosted 7 days ago
- Lusaka High Court throws out General Kanene’s application against convictionPosted 1 week ago
Explosive Device Kills Miner in Mufulira
- Updated: January 7, 2014
A THIRTY-ONE-YEAR old miner of Mopani Copper Mines (MCM) in Mufulira
has died after an explosive device exploded on him, blowing off his head in
an underground mine accident.
Acting Copperbelt Police chief Joyce Kasosa confirmed the incident in
Ms Kasosa identified the deceased as Worby Chichalwa ,31, of house
number 379/F Kankoyo Township in Mufulira who died on Monday following
an explosive accident at MCM’s Mufulira Division.
She said the accident happened around 15:00 hours at 1, 062 metres
deep underground where the deceased was blasting the ground using
“One of the explosives he was trying to ignite accidentally exploded
on his body blowing his head in the process,” she said.
Ms Kasosa said Mr Chichalwa, apart from his head being blown off had
his right hand cut off by the explosive.
Ms Kasosa said the body of the deceased was taken to Malcom Hospital
mortuary in Mufulira.