- Latest Vacancy: Administrative Assistant at the Embassy of Sweden in Lusaka, ZambiaPosted 21 hours ago
- Latest Vacancy- Programme Coordinator -Adolescent Girls Initiative at the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) ZambiaPosted 21 hours ago
- President Sata goes for medical check- up abroad says State HousePosted 3 days ago
- Three people arrested by Drug Enforcement Commission in Lusaka for trafficking in more than 300 kg of cannabisPosted 6 days ago
- Japan gives Zambia K10 m for expanding cold chainPosted 1 week ago
- Man, 26, commits suicide by hanging himself in Muchinga ProvincePosted 1 week ago
- European Union Ambassador Gilles Hervio meets ShamendaPosted 1 week ago
- Latest Vacancy: Information Specialist at US Embassy in Lusaka, ZambiaPosted 1 week ago
- DEC arrests Lusaka businessman for drug traffickingPosted 1 week ago
- Resa and Mira fall firstPosted 1 week ago
Explosive Device Kills Miner in Mufulira
- Updated: January 7, 2014
A THIRTY-ONE-YEAR old miner of Mopani Copper Mines (MCM) in Mufulira
has died after an explosive device exploded on him, blowing off his head in
an underground mine accident.
Acting Copperbelt Police chief Joyce Kasosa confirmed the incident in
Ms Kasosa identified the deceased as Worby Chichalwa ,31, of house
number 379/F Kankoyo Township in Mufulira who died on Monday following
an explosive accident at MCM’s Mufulira Division.
She said the accident happened around 15:00 hours at 1, 062 metres
deep underground where the deceased was blasting the ground using
“One of the explosives he was trying to ignite accidentally exploded
on his body blowing his head in the process,” she said.
Ms Kasosa said Mr Chichalwa, apart from his head being blown off had
his right hand cut off by the explosive.
Ms Kasosa said the body of the deceased was taken to Malcom Hospital
mortuary in Mufulira.