- Dangote categorically denies corruption & bribery claims made by Minister of LabourPosted 5 hours ago
- Emirates to Launch Second Service to Dar es SalaamPosted 1 day ago
- Drivers licence card printing operations normalise says RTSAPosted 1 day ago
- Peter Matoka was great inspiration says Rupiah BandaPosted 2 days ago
- Fire swepts through Pen Marks store in LusakaPosted 2 days ago
- MMD to discipline its official who urinated in the council chamber says Muhabi LunguPosted 2 days ago
- DEC arrests 44 year-old businessman of Chipata for money laundering activities involving over K40,000.Posted 3 days ago
- President Sata mourns Dr. MatokaPosted 3 days ago
- President Sata toasts Zambezi West, Vubwi and Mkushi South VictoryPosted 3 days ago
- Times of Zambia staff to go on strike over four months unpaid salariesPosted 3 days ago
Explosive Device Kills Miner in Mufulira
- Updated: January 7, 2014
A THIRTY-ONE-YEAR old miner of Mopani Copper Mines (MCM) in Mufulira
has died after an explosive device exploded on him, blowing off his head in
an underground mine accident.
Acting Copperbelt Police chief Joyce Kasosa confirmed the incident in
Ms Kasosa identified the deceased as Worby Chichalwa ,31, of house
number 379/F Kankoyo Township in Mufulira who died on Monday following
an explosive accident at MCM’s Mufulira Division.
She said the accident happened around 15:00 hours at 1, 062 metres
deep underground where the deceased was blasting the ground using
“One of the explosives he was trying to ignite accidentally exploded
on his body blowing his head in the process,” she said.
Ms Kasosa said Mr Chichalwa, apart from his head being blown off had
his right hand cut off by the explosive.
Ms Kasosa said the body of the deceased was taken to Malcom Hospital
mortuary in Mufulira.