- Edgar Lungu holds rally in KabwePosted 1 day ago
- Cosmo Mumba withdraws from presidential racePosted 1 day ago
- Nevers Mumba files in presidential nomination paperPosted 2 days ago
- Edgar Lungu files inPosted 2 days ago
- Cabinet asks Dr. Guy Scott to resignPosted 5 days ago
- Guy Scott refuses to resignPosted 5 days ago
- Rupiah Banda receives a thunderous welcome in KasamaPosted 1 week ago
- MMD Shall Unite and Prevail says Rupiah BandaPosted 2 weeks ago
- Edgar Lungu meets with President Robert MugabePosted 2 weeks ago
- Zambian Amethysts create 100 good deeds braceletPosted 2 weeks ago
Heroes National Stadium it is
- Updated: July 13, 2013
SPORTS MINISTER Chishimba Kambwili has bowed to national press by meeting public pressure on naming the ultra- modern stadium in Lusaka from Gabon Disaster Heroes Stadium to Heroes Stadium to widely acclaimed name of Heroes Stadium.
Kambwili said that the Ultra Modern Stadium which is still under construction in the Capital will be called Heroes National Stadium, with immediate effect.
The former name raised nationwide concern in the sports fraternity and sections of the general public who felt the name proposed by Kambwili was misplaced.
Leading the pack was Football Association President Kalusha Bwalya who from the onset suggested that the new stadia be named Heroes Stadium.
Kalusha‘s suggestions attracted nationwide support with some soccer pundits saying the Gabon Disaster Heroes Stadium as suggested by Kambwili was not correct.
However, the sports minister who seemed adamant to the suggestions of changing the name, said all meaningful Zambians had the right to propose to any name which they wanted the stadium to be called.
The sports minister said he had heard from different views of all patriotic Zambians who were concerned about the name of the stadium.
ZANIS sports reports from Kitwe that the sports minister said this when he briefed journalists, yesterday.
He said that his ministry had now decided to satisfy the wish of Zambians for the 50, 000 sitter capacity stadium to be called the ‘Heroes National Stadium’.
He said the new stadium in the Capital does not belong to anyone but the people of Zambia who are the reason the project was intended for.