- Nkana beat Nchanga to stay top of the MTN/FAZ Super League standingsPosted 2 days ago
- Police Release Arrested UNZA StudentsPosted 2 days ago
- Petersen offers solidarity to Arrested University StudentsPosted 2 days ago
- Sata is a Dictator, Liar and his government is a failed Project, Says HHPosted 2 days ago
- NAREP Regrets Removal of SubsidiesPosted 2 days ago
- COSAFA adds Kitwe as venue for Cosafa Cup 2013, withdraws KabwePosted 2 days ago
- K 11 billion was spent for Lukulu and Kapiri By-Elections, Feira will gobble 7.7 billion, Says ECZPosted 2 days ago
- CDDR Denounces Mass Arrests of Civil Society Members and Students in ZambiaPosted 3 days ago
- Commodity Prices Shoot up in ChipataPosted 3 days ago
- President Sata assigns Prof Luo, GBM to settle ‘ heat’ with BashilubembaPosted 3 days ago
RB Did Not Attend Press Conference Says His Office,As Sakeni Threatens Opposition
- Updated: February 12, 2013
GOVERNMENT has reacted sharply to attempts by the opposition political parties to deceive the international community into suspending Zambia from the commonwealth.
Opposition political leaders earlier today at a press conference held in Rosebank, South Africa accused the Patriotic Front Government of trying to enforce a one party state, stoking ethnic tensions, harassment, intimidation among other alleged violations and human rights abuses.
Opposition leaders who were present include former republican president Rupiah Banda, MMD’s Nevers Mumba, UPND’s Hakainde Hichilema and ULP’s Sakwiba Sikota.
Chief government spokesperson Kennedy Sakeni said government was aware of Mr Banda’s direct links to what he termed as immature and embarrassingly unpatriotic fruitless schemes.
“Our advice to Mr Banda and his newly constituted ‘defence’ team of Dr Mumba, Mr Hichilema and Mr Sikota is that the matters he is facing shall be justly determined within the Zambian jurisdiction. Therefore, let them make no mistake because this PF Government is resolved to seek justice with regards to Mr. Banda and his children’s alleged involvement in the plunder of this country’s public resources,’ Mr Sakeni said.
He said government shall follow the laid down legal procedures and processes to seek justice for the Zambian people.
Mr Sakeni said no amount of political blackmail and media stunts will stop government from fulfilling its campaign promise to the Zambian people.
“The allegations of corruption against Mr Banda and his family were not only made by us; they were also made by some of his newly found friends like Mr Hichilema. There was also heightened international concern about the levels of corruption in Mr Banda’s Government. The truth is Mr Banda is facing a credible investigation and this Government has accorded Mr Banda respect so far as his legal rights and freedoms are concerned. We therefore wonder why Mr Banda is scared of to hastily convene a press conference by proxy in South Africa,’ he said.
He said there is nothing democratic about intentions to sow despondency and anarchy in a country.
“In fact, today’s act on foreign soil by these disgruntled opposition leaders alone is a serious indictment on their preparedness and eligibility to lead this country. Who takes pride in discrediting a country they aspire to lead? It’s totally wrong;
unafrican and falls short of the elementary dictates of patriotism and focused leadership,” he said.
But office of the fourth president distance itself from the impression created by some sections of the media that Mr Banda was in attendance at the press conference in South Africa.
“We wish to correct the impression created by some sections of the media that Mr Banda was allegedly among the people who attended the press conference of Zambian opposition political parties and civil society organisations in Johannesburg today,” administrative assistant Mikatazo Wakumelo said.