- President Sata goes for medical check- up abroad says State HousePosted 5 hours ago
- Three people arrested by Drug Enforcement Commission in Lusaka for trafficking in more than 300 kg of cannabisPosted 3 days ago
- Japan gives Zambia K10 m for expanding cold chainPosted 5 days ago
- Man, 26, commits suicide by hanging himself in Muchinga ProvincePosted 5 days ago
- European Union Ambassador Gilles Hervio meets ShamendaPosted 5 days ago
- Latest Vacancy: Information Specialist at US Embassy in Lusaka, ZambiaPosted 5 days ago
- DEC arrests Lusaka businessman for drug traffickingPosted 6 days ago
- Resa and Mira fall firstPosted 6 days ago
- Government says projected growth prospect for next year are attainablePosted 1 week ago
- Major investors applaud Zambia’s operating environment, pledge expansionPosted 1 week ago
Female Ndola school teacher who made obscene pictures of herself fined by court
- Updated: August 18, 2012
A 50-YEAR-OLD boarding school mistress of Nsansa Private School who was caught with eight obscene pictures of herself in the nude has been fined K5.4 million by the Ndola Magistrate Court.
The nude pictures were stored on the school computer.
Chief resident magistrate Collins Lundah on 17th August, 2012, fined Verona Mwansa Kuwani of 3329 Mpongwe Crescent after she was convicted of two counts of making and circulating obscene material.
Kuwani was fined K2.7 million in each of the two counts amounting to the cumulative figure of K5.4 million to be paid within 14 days or in default nine months simple imprisonment.
In the first count, Kuwani was convicted for producing obscene material contrary to section 177 (1) (a) of the penal code chapter 87 of the laws of Zambia. Kuwani, on a date unknown but between January 27 2008 and October 2011 in Ndola, made eight obscene pictures intending to corrupt morals.
In count two, Kuwani circulated obscene material contrary to section 177 (1) (b) of the penal code chapter 87 of the laws of Zambia by placing into circulation the eight obscene pictures intending to corrupt morals on October 2 last year.
The court found that it was not in dispute that pupils found several naked pictures of Kuwani in a folder named VMK not protected by a secret code on October 2 last year and that a large number of people viewed the pictures.
“There is no doubt that Kuwani made the pictures depicting her naked body and exposing her private parts. She freely participated by posing in different positions,” the court said.
The court dismissed Kuwani’s defence that the obscene pictures were meant for her and her partner saying she should have put in measures to ensure nobody had access to them.
“She admitted to having been negligent when her partner emailed her the pictures which came as attachments and could not delete them because there was a power cut,” the court said.
In mitigation, she told the court that she apologized to everyone whose sensibility was affected and that the incident had ripped her family apart as no one was talking to her.
She also sent the packed courtroom raring with laughter when she said the prosecutor had put a lot of emphasis on her age during the trial when that should not have mattered because she was still sexually active. She added that she had maintained her relationship with her partner.
But the court reminded her that in Zambia, the exposure of private parts of an adult female or male in public offends against recognized standards of propriety.
(Source: Mwebantu New Media)