- Jubilee celebrations end tragically with suspected drowning of 21 pupils in ChomaPosted 12 hours ago
- Acting Republican President Lungu leads in celebrating golden jubileePosted 12 hours ago
- USA toasts Zambia’s Golden JubileePosted 13 hours ago
- Latest Vacancy: Country Legal Manager at BancABC ZambiaPosted 3 days ago
- Latest Vacancy: Administrative Assistant at the Embassy of Sweden in Lusaka, ZambiaPosted 3 days ago
- Latest Vacancy- Programme Coordinator -Adolescent Girls Initiative at the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) ZambiaPosted 3 days ago
- President Sata goes for medical check- up abroad says State HousePosted 5 days ago
- Three people arrested by Drug Enforcement Commission in Lusaka for trafficking in more than 300 kg of cannabisPosted 1 week ago
- Japan gives Zambia K10 m for expanding cold chainPosted 1 week ago
- Man, 26, commits suicide by hanging himself in Muchinga ProvincePosted 1 week ago
Two Solwezi women arrested for illegal possession of gun, ammunitions
- Updated: August 16, 2012
Police in Solwezi have arrested two Kitwe business ladies and a man for illegal possession of a pistol and 30 rounds of ammunition last night.
Jean Mwananyanda, 30, allegedly married to a white man and her two friends were yesterday arrested after she threatened to shoot a police officer who approached and ordered her to drive to Solwezi Central Police Station for further questioning.
North-western Province Police Deputy Commissioner, Bonny Kapeso, confirmed the incident to ZANIS in Solwezi today.
Mr Kapeso said Mwananyanda eluded the police dragnet and went to hide the pistol at her business counterparts identified as Evaristo Mushoko, aged 34, and Sally Chola of Ndola and Kitwe respectively.
He said after serious interrogations Mwananyanda gave in, leading to the recovery of a 9 millimetres Austra pistol serial number LLV987 with two magazines loaded with 30 rounds of ammunition.
Mr Kapeso said the three suspects are in police custody jointly arrested and charged with threatening violence and unlawful possession of a firearm without a licence. They are helping with further investigations and will soon appear in court.
The ladies who were earlier booked at a named hotel, are said to have gone and socialized at a named night club with Mwananyanda leaving her one month old bay with the maid at the hotel.