- Zambia records K283 million trade surplusPosted 1 week ago
- Parliament ratifies two Supreme Court Judges and Five High Court JudgesPosted 1 week ago
- Kwacha fails to recover before February endsPosted 1 week ago
- Opposition MPs’ conduct is disorderly and not permitted by our Constitution says SpeakerPosted 1 week ago
- PPAZ calls on Government increased budgetary allocation to family planning programmesPosted 1 week ago
- Dysentery breaks out at Kasama Girls’ Secondary SchoolPosted 1 week ago
- Sata urges Zambians living in DRC to work hardPosted 1 week ago
- Rupiah Banda leaves for Medical Review in South AfricaPosted 1 week ago
- Shakafuswa returns to parliamentPosted 1 week ago
- Gemfields Raises Record US$36.5m in Lusaka Higher Quality Emerald AuctionPosted 1 week ago
Two Solwezi women arrested for illegal possession of gun, ammunitions
- Updated: August 16, 2012
Police in Solwezi have arrested two Kitwe business ladies and a man for illegal possession of a pistol and 30 rounds of ammunition last night.
Jean Mwananyanda, 30, allegedly married to a white man and her two friends were yesterday arrested after she threatened to shoot a police officer who approached and ordered her to drive to Solwezi Central Police Station for further questioning.
North-western Province Police Deputy Commissioner, Bonny Kapeso, confirmed the incident to ZANIS in Solwezi today.
Mr Kapeso said Mwananyanda eluded the police dragnet and went to hide the pistol at her business counterparts identified as Evaristo Mushoko, aged 34, and Sally Chola of Ndola and Kitwe respectively.
He said after serious interrogations Mwananyanda gave in, leading to the recovery of a 9 millimetres Austra pistol serial number LLV987 with two magazines loaded with 30 rounds of ammunition.
Mr Kapeso said the three suspects are in police custody jointly arrested and charged with threatening violence and unlawful possession of a firearm without a licence. They are helping with further investigations and will soon appear in court.
The ladies who were earlier booked at a named hotel, are said to have gone and socialized at a named night club with Mwananyanda leaving her one month old bay with the maid at the hotel.