- One child dies in bus accident on Ndola-Kapiri roadPosted 2 days ago
- Minister of Tourism and Arts Jean Kapata dissolves ZAWA BoardPosted 2 days ago
- Lusaka High Court throws out General Kanene’s application against convictionPosted 3 days ago
- DEC in Eastern Province has arrests six peasant farmers in Chief Chinunda’s area for unlawful cultivation of fresh cannabis plantsPosted 3 days ago
- 22 year old female Israeli national arrested for trafficking in cannabisPosted 3 days ago
- Continent’s energy and water leaders join forces to discuss challenges and celebrate successes at annual African Utility Week in Cape Town in MayPosted 3 days ago
- Cost of living goes up says JCTRPosted 4 days ago
- Eight people die on the spot in a bus and truck head on collision in PembaPosted 4 days ago
- 9 months old baby dies in an inferno in Lusaka, police sayPosted 4 days ago
- Fastjet to introduce a third flight from Dar es Salaam to LusakaPosted 4 days ago
Two Solwezi women arrested for illegal possession of gun, ammunitions
- Updated: August 16, 2012
Police in Solwezi have arrested two Kitwe business ladies and a man for illegal possession of a pistol and 30 rounds of ammunition last night.
Jean Mwananyanda, 30, allegedly married to a white man and her two friends were yesterday arrested after she threatened to shoot a police officer who approached and ordered her to drive to Solwezi Central Police Station for further questioning.
North-western Province Police Deputy Commissioner, Bonny Kapeso, confirmed the incident to ZANIS in Solwezi today.
Mr Kapeso said Mwananyanda eluded the police dragnet and went to hide the pistol at her business counterparts identified as Evaristo Mushoko, aged 34, and Sally Chola of Ndola and Kitwe respectively.
He said after serious interrogations Mwananyanda gave in, leading to the recovery of a 9 millimetres Austra pistol serial number LLV987 with two magazines loaded with 30 rounds of ammunition.
Mr Kapeso said the three suspects are in police custody jointly arrested and charged with threatening violence and unlawful possession of a firearm without a licence. They are helping with further investigations and will soon appear in court.
The ladies who were earlier booked at a named hotel, are said to have gone and socialized at a named night club with Mwananyanda leaving her one month old bay with the maid at the hotel.