- Speech for President Sata at the opening of the fourth session of the eleventh National AssemblyPosted 22 hours ago
- President Sata opens fourth session of the eleventh National AssemblyPosted 24 hours ago
- Airports Company of South Africa keen to partner with ZambiaPosted 1 day ago
- Eric T. Schultz named new United States Ambassador to ZambiaPosted 1 day ago
- Chikwanda to present 2015 National Budget on October 10th, 2014Posted 1 day ago
- Three killed in road carnage in Shiwang’andu DistrictPosted 1 day ago
- President Sata to open parliament this morningPosted 1 day ago
- Woman aged 23 arrested for having sex with a boy aged 15 at a guesthouse in ChipataPosted 2 days ago
- Zambia and Zimbabwe mobilise $280m for Kariba dam repairsPosted 2 days ago
- Magistrates Court fines 10 people over Mukula treePosted 2 days ago
Two Solwezi women arrested for illegal possession of gun, ammunitions
- Updated: August 16, 2012
Police in Solwezi have arrested two Kitwe business ladies and a man for illegal possession of a pistol and 30 rounds of ammunition last night.
Jean Mwananyanda, 30, allegedly married to a white man and her two friends were yesterday arrested after she threatened to shoot a police officer who approached and ordered her to drive to Solwezi Central Police Station for further questioning.
North-western Province Police Deputy Commissioner, Bonny Kapeso, confirmed the incident to ZANIS in Solwezi today.
Mr Kapeso said Mwananyanda eluded the police dragnet and went to hide the pistol at her business counterparts identified as Evaristo Mushoko, aged 34, and Sally Chola of Ndola and Kitwe respectively.
He said after serious interrogations Mwananyanda gave in, leading to the recovery of a 9 millimetres Austra pistol serial number LLV987 with two magazines loaded with 30 rounds of ammunition.
Mr Kapeso said the three suspects are in police custody jointly arrested and charged with threatening violence and unlawful possession of a firearm without a licence. They are helping with further investigations and will soon appear in court.
The ladies who were earlier booked at a named hotel, are said to have gone and socialized at a named night club with Mwananyanda leaving her one month old bay with the maid at the hotel.