- Child marriage is a violation of children’s rights, says President LunguPosted 2 hours ago
- President Lungu has no solutions to the Zambia’s economic problems, says FDDPosted 8 hours ago
- GBV is both a health and a human rights concern, says Lucy JoycePosted 10 hours ago
- 21 year old woman arrested for allegedly defiling a 15 year old boy in NakondePosted 10 hours ago
- Zambian Actor Brings Hollywood to ZambiaPosted 10 hours ago
- Drug Enforcement Commission arrests five people for money launderingPosted 1 day ago
- 162 cases of child sexual abuse survivors recorded at UTH in the month of OctoberPosted 1 day ago
- RTSA convicts over 300 motorists for various road traffic offencesPosted 1 day ago
- KCM closes Nchanga Underground Mine, 2500 people to lose jobsPosted 1 day ago
- The sluggish world economy has affected the Kwacha says Chinese AmbassadorPosted 1 day ago
Two Solwezi women arrested for illegal possession of gun, ammunitions
- Updated: August 16, 2012
Police in Solwezi have arrested two Kitwe business ladies and a man for illegal possession of a pistol and 30 rounds of ammunition last night.
Jean Mwananyanda, 30, allegedly married to a white man and her two friends were yesterday arrested after she threatened to shoot a police officer who approached and ordered her to drive to Solwezi Central Police Station for further questioning.
North-western Province Police Deputy Commissioner, Bonny Kapeso, confirmed the incident to ZANIS in Solwezi today.
Mr Kapeso said Mwananyanda eluded the police dragnet and went to hide the pistol at her business counterparts identified as Evaristo Mushoko, aged 34, and Sally Chola of Ndola and Kitwe respectively.
He said after serious interrogations Mwananyanda gave in, leading to the recovery of a 9 millimetres Austra pistol serial number LLV987 with two magazines loaded with 30 rounds of ammunition.
Mr Kapeso said the three suspects are in police custody jointly arrested and charged with threatening violence and unlawful possession of a firearm without a licence. They are helping with further investigations and will soon appear in court.
The ladies who were earlier booked at a named hotel, are said to have gone and socialized at a named night club with Mwananyanda leaving her one month old bay with the maid at the hotel.