- Sichilongo assault case adjourned to September, 17th, 2014 for continued trialPosted 4 hours ago
- MTN Zambia says mobile banking is the key for the delivery of financial services in ZambiaPosted 4 hours ago
- Support government’s 2030 agenda, President Sata urges Zambians in diasporaPosted 4 hours ago
- Wynter Kabimba Free to Join UPND, says Cornelius MweetwaPosted 4 hours ago
- Chanda Mfula resigns as Media and Publicity Director of the Patriotic FrontPosted 2 days ago
- Kabimba hurt a lot of people says Davies ChamaPosted 2 days ago
- Dot Com Zambia Partners with Zoona to create a payment platform for online shoppingPosted 2 days ago
- State House counsels Brig. Gen. MiyandaPosted 2 days ago
- RTSA caution all road users against lawlessness during Kulamba and Likumbi Lya Mize traditional ceremoniesPosted 3 days ago
- Proflight halves its fares for kidsPosted 4 days ago
4 Zambia Army commandos evacuated to Lusaka after horror accident
- Updated: August 4, 2012
Four Zambia Army commandos who were involved in an accident near Mukonchi area, about 50 kms from Kabwe have been evacuated to Maina Soko Military Hospital and University Teaching Hospital (UTH) in Lusaka for specialist treatment. The commandos suffered head, spine injuries fractures legs and arms.
The accident happened when the army truck reg no. AD 3569 they were travelling in overturned and caught fire, burning to ashes along Mukonchi road in Kabwe rural. The commandos were on their way to Mukonchi Mita Hill Dam to retrieve the last two bodies out of the five who drowned last week.
Kapiri Mponshi Police officer in charge, Martin Mooka, confirmed the development, saying the truck was carrying commandos on a mission to retrieve the five bodies that had drowned in Mita Dam last week
Mr Mooka said the commandos were coming from Ndola’s Mushili Barracks while the cox swan was from a Mufulira engineering company when the driver lost control before the truck overturned.
The driver and three officers died on the spot, burning the three commandoes beyond recognition around 15:00 hours when the accident happened while one died around 18:00 hours at Mukonchi clinic.
And Zambia Police deputy spokesperson Charity Chanda named the dead soldiers as the driver of the truck Sgt Iwile,coaxswine staff sgt Kalenga and Sgt Trevor Nkonde both of One Engineering Regiment in Mufulira. The fourth one is Sgt Ngoma of Commando unit Ndola. She identified the injured as Sgt Chrispin Mujuda, Warrant Officer II Packer Chisenga,Sgt Kwibiana Masumba, Sgt Alex Saini, Sgt Chistopher Mukelabai Wamulume, Sgt Sibajene and Corporal Jones Mayaba.
She said the “ injured were initially treated at Mukonchi clinic and later refeered to Kabwe General Hospital.The accident happened on 3rd August 2012 around 14 hours at B.S area north of Mukonchi. There were 13 soldiers on board and one escaped unhurt.”