- ZAMBEEF’S K50,000 Draw Hits MutenderePosted 11 hours ago
- ZESCO awards contract for Lusaka power line upgrade worth USD200 million to AureconPosted 17 hours ago
- Former President Rupiah Banda loses brother in-lawPosted 18 hours ago
- President Edgar Lungu directs changes to 2015 Mineral Royalty TaxPosted 5 days ago
- Proflight Zambia reintroduces its popular 50-seater CRJ-100 aircraft on domestic routes in ZambiaPosted 6 days ago
- President Lungu Mourns Willie NsandaPosted 6 days ago
- RDA fires Bernand Chiwala as Chief Executive OfficerPosted 7 days ago
- DEC arrests 30 people for unlawful cultivation and trafficking in various quantities of cannabisPosted 7 days ago
- Willie Nsanda; the Businessman, the Politician and the OrganiserPosted 7 days ago
- Japan gives USD 1.5 million to refugee and local integration programmes in ZambiaPosted 7 days ago
4 Zambia Army commandos evacuated to Lusaka after horror accident
- Updated: August 4, 2012
Four Zambia Army commandos who were involved in an accident near Mukonchi area, about 50 kms from Kabwe have been evacuated to Maina Soko Military Hospital and University Teaching Hospital (UTH) in Lusaka for specialist treatment. The commandos suffered head, spine injuries fractures legs and arms.
The accident happened when the army truck reg no. AD 3569 they were travelling in overturned and caught fire, burning to ashes along Mukonchi road in Kabwe rural. The commandos were on their way to Mukonchi Mita Hill Dam to retrieve the last two bodies out of the five who drowned last week.
Kapiri Mponshi Police officer in charge, Martin Mooka, confirmed the development, saying the truck was carrying commandos on a mission to retrieve the five bodies that had drowned in Mita Dam last week
Mr Mooka said the commandos were coming from Ndola’s Mushili Barracks while the cox swan was from a Mufulira engineering company when the driver lost control before the truck overturned.
The driver and three officers died on the spot, burning the three commandoes beyond recognition around 15:00 hours when the accident happened while one died around 18:00 hours at Mukonchi clinic.
And Zambia Police deputy spokesperson Charity Chanda named the dead soldiers as the driver of the truck Sgt Iwile,coaxswine staff sgt Kalenga and Sgt Trevor Nkonde both of One Engineering Regiment in Mufulira. The fourth one is Sgt Ngoma of Commando unit Ndola. She identified the injured as Sgt Chrispin Mujuda, Warrant Officer II Packer Chisenga,Sgt Kwibiana Masumba, Sgt Alex Saini, Sgt Chistopher Mukelabai Wamulume, Sgt Sibajene and Corporal Jones Mayaba.
She said the “ injured were initially treated at Mukonchi clinic and later refeered to Kabwe General Hospital.The accident happened on 3rd August 2012 around 14 hours at B.S area north of Mukonchi. There were 13 soldiers on board and one escaped unhurt.”