- Lusaka businessman arrested for trafficking in cocainePosted 3 hours ago
- Luangwa bus accident report outPosted 3 hours ago
- Sata is Nairobi Bound, says Mumbi PhiriPosted 4 hours ago
- Emulate Nelson Mandela, Sata urges Zambian youthsPosted 6 hours ago
- President Sata declares Seven- day national mourning for MandelaPosted 6 hours ago
- Zambeef impresses COMESAPosted 2 days ago
- Rupiah Bwezani Banda mourns MandelaPosted 2 days ago
- Four motorists cheat death in LusakaPosted 2 days ago
- Court officers arrested for stealing drugsPosted 2 days ago
- Sata joins other Heads of State in mourning MandelaPosted 2 days ago
12 people die in road accident on Lusaka Chipata road
- Updated: August 2, 2012
12 people have died on the Lusaka-Chipata road near Rufusa after a Scania Macorpolo bus registration number ALC 8185 belonging to Johabie transport company overturned.
The accident happened after the driver Suze Mwanamambo, 35, of chipata township in Lusaka lost control as he was trying to avoid hitting into a pedestrian and causing the bus to overturn and kill 11 passengers from the bus and the pedestrian.
Zambia Police deputy spokesperson Charity Chanda confirmed the accident. Ms Chanda disclosed that the dead from the bus were taken to Mumphanshya Mission Hospital mortuary.
“Yes I can confirm that 11 passengers have died on the spot this morning between 09.30 hours and 10.00 hours after the Scania Marcopolo bus registration number ALC 8185 they were travelling in belonging to Johabie transport overturned as the driver was trying to avoid hitting into a mentally suspected person.,” Ms Chanda said.