- DEC arrests peasant farmer for trafficking in loose cannabis weighing 13.7 kgPosted 16 hours ago
- Zambia appeals for human capital infrastructure support for newly constructed universitiesPosted 17 hours ago
- ZAWA takes over MundawangaPosted 18 hours ago
- Emirates and Angola announce strategic airline partnership in respect of TAAG Linhas Aéreas De AngolaPosted 18 hours ago
- Banks must provide safe and secure transactions for businesses says Paul RichardsPosted 3 days ago
- Steven Masumba sentenced to 12 months imprisonmentPosted 3 days ago
- ZAMBEEF bosses, Francis Grogan and Carl Irwin renew partnershipPosted 3 days ago
- Leaders should be listening to artistes says Rupiah BandaPosted 4 days ago
- President Sata arrives back home from New YorkPosted 4 days ago
- President Sata leaves New York amid reports of ill healthPosted 4 days ago
12 people die in road accident on Lusaka Chipata road
- Updated: August 2, 2012
12 people have died on the Lusaka-Chipata road near Rufusa after a Scania Macorpolo bus registration number ALC 8185 belonging to Johabie transport company overturned.
The accident happened after the driver Suze Mwanamambo, 35, of chipata township in Lusaka lost control as he was trying to avoid hitting into a pedestrian and causing the bus to overturn and kill 11 passengers from the bus and the pedestrian.
Zambia Police deputy spokesperson Charity Chanda confirmed the accident. Ms Chanda disclosed that the dead from the bus were taken to Mumphanshya Mission Hospital mortuary.
“Yes I can confirm that 11 passengers have died on the spot this morning between 09.30 hours and 10.00 hours after the Scania Marcopolo bus registration number ALC 8185 they were travelling in belonging to Johabie transport overturned as the driver was trying to avoid hitting into a mentally suspected person.,” Ms Chanda said.