- President Sata goes for medical check- up abroad says State HousePosted 1 day ago
- Three people arrested by Drug Enforcement Commission in Lusaka for trafficking in more than 300 kg of cannabisPosted 4 days ago
- Japan gives Zambia K10 m for expanding cold chainPosted 6 days ago
- Man, 26, commits suicide by hanging himself in Muchinga ProvincePosted 6 days ago
- European Union Ambassador Gilles Hervio meets ShamendaPosted 6 days ago
- Latest Vacancy: Information Specialist at US Embassy in Lusaka, ZambiaPosted 6 days ago
- DEC arrests Lusaka businessman for drug traffickingPosted 1 week ago
- Resa and Mira fall firstPosted 1 week ago
- Government says projected growth prospect for next year are attainablePosted 1 week ago
- Major investors applaud Zambia’s operating environment, pledge expansionPosted 1 week ago
12 people die in road accident on Lusaka Chipata road
- Updated: August 2, 2012
12 people have died on the Lusaka-Chipata road near Rufusa after a Scania Macorpolo bus registration number ALC 8185 belonging to Johabie transport company overturned.
The accident happened after the driver Suze Mwanamambo, 35, of chipata township in Lusaka lost control as he was trying to avoid hitting into a pedestrian and causing the bus to overturn and kill 11 passengers from the bus and the pedestrian.
Zambia Police deputy spokesperson Charity Chanda confirmed the accident. Ms Chanda disclosed that the dead from the bus were taken to Mumphanshya Mission Hospital mortuary.
“Yes I can confirm that 11 passengers have died on the spot this morning between 09.30 hours and 10.00 hours after the Scania Marcopolo bus registration number ALC 8185 they were travelling in belonging to Johabie transport overturned as the driver was trying to avoid hitting into a mentally suspected person.,” Ms Chanda said.