- DEC in Eastern Province has arrests six peasant farmers in Chief Chinunda’s area for unlawful cultivation of fresh cannabis plantsPosted 6 hours ago
- 22 year old female Israeli national arrested for trafficking in cannabisPosted 6 hours ago
- Continent’s energy and water leaders join forces to discuss challenges and celebrate successes at annual African Utility Week in Cape Town in MayPosted 6 hours ago
- Cost of living goes up says JCTRPosted 1 day ago
- Eight people die on the spot in a bus and truck head on collision in PembaPosted 1 day ago
- 9 months old baby dies in an inferno in Lusaka, police sayPosted 1 day ago
- Fastjet to introduce a third flight from Dar es Salaam to LusakaPosted 1 day ago
- Grand coalition demands immediate release and enactment of a new Constitution before Zambia plunges into anarchyPosted 1 day ago
- Mozambique seeks KCM partnership on Nacala portPosted 1 day ago
- State-Donor-Civil Society Partnerships Delivering Results in Health Sector, Dr Kaseba Tells Oxford ConferencePosted 4 days ago
12 people die in road accident on Lusaka Chipata road
- Updated: August 2, 2012
12 people have died on the Lusaka-Chipata road near Rufusa after a Scania Macorpolo bus registration number ALC 8185 belonging to Johabie transport company overturned.
The accident happened after the driver Suze Mwanamambo, 35, of chipata township in Lusaka lost control as he was trying to avoid hitting into a pedestrian and causing the bus to overturn and kill 11 passengers from the bus and the pedestrian.
Zambia Police deputy spokesperson Charity Chanda confirmed the accident. Ms Chanda disclosed that the dead from the bus were taken to Mumphanshya Mission Hospital mortuary.
“Yes I can confirm that 11 passengers have died on the spot this morning between 09.30 hours and 10.00 hours after the Scania Marcopolo bus registration number ALC 8185 they were travelling in belonging to Johabie transport overturned as the driver was trying to avoid hitting into a mentally suspected person.,” Ms Chanda said.