- APPCON Inspires Southern African ParliamentariansPosted 1 hour ago
- MTN launches WhatsApp based Customer ServicePosted 1 hour ago
- Fuel Tanker Blaze Sparks Call for ActionPosted 2 hours ago
- DEC arrests two accountants who stole K350,000 cashPosted 6 hours ago
- President Lungu Names New MinistersPosted 6 hours ago
- CCMG urges political parties to encourage their members to register as votersPosted 2 days ago
- RTSA orders for the revocation of a drivers licence for a Lusaka driver for dangerous drivingPosted 2 days ago
- Cyclist Allen Namukamba rides from Siavonga to Chipata for Climate JusticePosted 3 days ago
- Konkola Copper Mine cuts 148 jobsPosted 5 days ago
- UPND is not against the call for the national day of fasting and prayer says Hakainde HichilemaPosted 5 days ago
Man threatens to kill wife for bearing his children
- Updated: July 30, 2012
A WOMAN of Lusaka’s Kamwala South Township narrated to the Lusaka Boma Court how her husband of 11 has been threatening to kill her for bearing his children.
Clara Nyondwe 31, told senior court magistrate Lazarous Mwape that their home always turns into a war zone each time she falls pregnant by him because he does not want to have children; a situation she said she was unaware off.
This was in a case in which Nyondwe sued Derrick Bwalya 38 for divorce. The two who got married in 2001 have two children together. However, they have been on separation for eight months.
Nyondwe said they were happily married until she fell pregnant. She said shockingly, Bwalya was agitated about the pregnancy and commanded her not to conceive again or he would kill her.
“He threatened to kill me when we were expecting our first child. He even ordered me not to ever get pregnant, I found that extremely surprising,” she said.
Nyondwe said Bwalya does not want children because he has multiple girlfriends who she said he never informs about being married and having children.
She said Bwalya was always threatening and reminding her to be cautious so that she never gets pregnant for him or he would kill her.
“I am tired of being threatened, and I do not want to die. I am afraid that I cannot continue living with him because he might kill me one day. That is the reason I want a divorce,” Nyondwe said.
In his statement Bwalya who did not refute threatening Nyondwe said he did that when drunk and usually had no control of his deeds.
“I am a changed man and if given another chance I would not do that to her because I still want her as my wife. I did all that out of anger; I would not intentionally hurt my wife. It is unfortunate that she still insists on a divorce even after telling her that I have changed,” Bwalya said.
Passing judgment, the court which granted divorce noted that it would be unfair to force them to stay together when one person does not want especially that there was evidently no love but threats of violence.
The court ordered Bwalya to pay Nyondwe K10 million as compensation with an initial installment of K1million August monthend. He will then be expected to pay K250, 000 monthly installments.
The court also ordered him to maintain his children by paying K200, 000 monthly.