- Chishimba Kambwili Dissolves Zambia Daily Mail, Times of Zambia Boards, Fires Managing DirectorsPosted 2 days ago
- 2 Chinese Businessmen and 1 Zambian who allegedly cloned visa cards and unlawfully withdrew money from bank accounts arrestedPosted 2 days ago
- Dora Siliya announces intentions to re-contest Petauke Parliamentary seatPosted 2 days ago
- KCM gives uniforms to Nampundwe rural pre-schoolsPosted 3 days ago
- Zambia Breweries to open K224 million malting plant in the LusakaPosted 3 days ago
- Hakainde Hichilema urges Zambians to register as votersPosted 3 days ago
- DEC arrests an Australian National and two Zambians for unlawful cultivation of fresh cannabis plants weighing over 20kg.Posted 3 days ago
- Muvi TV Journalist and three Germany Nationals killed in a road accidentPosted 4 days ago
- Dora Siliya bemoans high defilement cases being reported at the University Teaching Hospital (UTH)Posted 4 days ago
- Two criminals gunned down in Chambishi by an alert neighbourPosted 4 days ago
Man threatens to kill wife for bearing his children
- Updated: July 30, 2012
A WOMAN of Lusaka’s Kamwala South Township narrated to the Lusaka Boma Court how her husband of 11 has been threatening to kill her for bearing his children.
Clara Nyondwe 31, told senior court magistrate Lazarous Mwape that their home always turns into a war zone each time she falls pregnant by him because he does not want to have children; a situation she said she was unaware off.
This was in a case in which Nyondwe sued Derrick Bwalya 38 for divorce. The two who got married in 2001 have two children together. However, they have been on separation for eight months.
Nyondwe said they were happily married until she fell pregnant. She said shockingly, Bwalya was agitated about the pregnancy and commanded her not to conceive again or he would kill her.
“He threatened to kill me when we were expecting our first child. He even ordered me not to ever get pregnant, I found that extremely surprising,” she said.
Nyondwe said Bwalya does not want children because he has multiple girlfriends who she said he never informs about being married and having children.
She said Bwalya was always threatening and reminding her to be cautious so that she never gets pregnant for him or he would kill her.
“I am tired of being threatened, and I do not want to die. I am afraid that I cannot continue living with him because he might kill me one day. That is the reason I want a divorce,” Nyondwe said.
In his statement Bwalya who did not refute threatening Nyondwe said he did that when drunk and usually had no control of his deeds.
“I am a changed man and if given another chance I would not do that to her because I still want her as my wife. I did all that out of anger; I would not intentionally hurt my wife. It is unfortunate that she still insists on a divorce even after telling her that I have changed,” Bwalya said.
Passing judgment, the court which granted divorce noted that it would be unfair to force them to stay together when one person does not want especially that there was evidently no love but threats of violence.
The court ordered Bwalya to pay Nyondwe K10 million as compensation with an initial installment of K1million August monthend. He will then be expected to pay K250, 000 monthly installments.
The court also ordered him to maintain his children by paying K200, 000 monthly.