- Three people arrested by Drug Enforcement Commission in Lusaka for trafficking in more than 300 kg of cannabisPosted 3 days ago
- Japan gives Zambia K10 m for expanding cold chainPosted 5 days ago
- Man, 26, commits suicide by hanging himself in Muchinga ProvincePosted 5 days ago
- European Union Ambassador Gilles Hervio meets ShamendaPosted 5 days ago
- Latest Vacancy: Information Specialist at US Embassy in Lusaka, ZambiaPosted 5 days ago
- DEC arrests Lusaka businessman for drug traffickingPosted 6 days ago
- Resa and Mira fall firstPosted 6 days ago
- Government says projected growth prospect for next year are attainablePosted 1 week ago
- Major investors applaud Zambia’s operating environment, pledge expansionPosted 1 week ago
- Bank of Zambia Governor named Central Bank Governor of the yearPosted 1 week ago
Maid murderer appears in court
- Updated: July 18, 2012
A 79-year-old man of foreign origin today appeared before a Lusaka magistrates’ court for allegedly killing his maid.
Before magistrate Exhilda Chanda was Arthur Stewart Francis, a retired farmer, charged with one count of murder contrary to Section 200 of the Penal Code.
The accused is alleged to have murdered Mary Simambwe on April 12, 2012.
The case has been adjourned to August 1, 2012 for mention awaiting to be committed to the High Court.
And the case in which a Lusaka Pastor is allegedly accused of confining his three year old child by tying the child failed to take off today.
The accused asked the court to give him one month in which he could contact his lawyer to represent him.
He further asked the court to read the indictment for him in order to understand the charge.
In response, magistrate Chanda said the lawyer he was talking about was not on the court records but said she could not give him one month but instead gave him two weeks in which he could contact his lawyer.
She told the accused that the indictment would be availed to him by his lawyer when he comes.
The matter has been adjourned to August 2 this year for trial.