- GBV is both a health and a human rights concern, says Lucy JoycePosted 45 mins ago
- 21 year old woman arrested for allegedly defiling a 15 year old boy in NakondePosted 1 hour ago
- Zambian Actor Brings Hollywood to ZambiaPosted 1 hour ago
- Drug Enforcement Commission arrests five people for money launderingPosted 18 hours ago
- 162 cases of child sexual abuse survivors recorded at UTH in the month of OctoberPosted 18 hours ago
- RTSA convicts over 300 motorists for various road traffic offencesPosted 19 hours ago
- KCM closes Nchanga Underground Mine, 2500 people to lose jobsPosted 19 hours ago
- The sluggish world economy has affected the Kwacha says Chinese AmbassadorPosted 19 hours ago
- President Lungu to hold a press conference at State HousePosted 2 days ago
- Chisenga Muyoya becomes first Zambian to win JCI AwardPosted 2 days ago
Mohammed Essa wins the Shell Pearl of Africa Uganda Rally
- Updated: July 15, 2012
Zambia’s Mohammed Essa has won the Shell Pearl of Africa Uganda Rally with a resounding three minutes one second lead after dominating the three-day race from start to finish.
Mohammed Essa, navigated by Zimbabwean Greg Stead, led the event from start to finish for the Zambian’s maiden POAUR event. He returned his Prodrive Subaru Impreza N12 machine in two hours, 38 minutes and 10 seconds.
This year’s edition of POAUR flagged off by Uganda’s Vice-President Edward K. Ssekandi while Prime Minister John Patrick Amama Mbabazi presided over the closing ceremony at Uganda Manufacturers Association (UMA) showground.
Provisional POAUR final results:
1.Mohammed Essa /Greg Stead (Subaru Impreza) 2:38:10
2.Jas Mangat/Ravi Soni (Subaru Impreza) 2:41:12
3.Ronald Sebuguzi / Cedric Buzabo (Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 9) 2:54:31
4.Giancarlo Davite/Sylvia Vondevogel (Subaru Impreza) 2:56:10
5.Susan Muwonge/Edmond Kyeyune (Subaru Impreza) 3:01:26
6.Edson Mungyereza/Ronald Luwangula (Subaru Impreza) 3:20:06
7.Elefterios Mitraros/Paolo Paganin (Subaru Impreza) 3:21:27
8.Jonas Kansiime/Joseph Bongole (Subaru Impreza) 3:39:41
9.Patrick Sebambulidde / Rahma Mohammed (Toyota Levin) 4:08:34
The win gives Essa a 55-point lead in the FIA African Rally Championship (ARC) race having increased his season tally to 89 points against Rwandan Giancarlo Davite’s 34 points.
Davite Rwandese leapfrogged to second position in the African contest by finishing fourth in the Pearl that ended with two local drivers driver Jas Mangat and Ronald Sebuguzi finishing second and third.
With three rallies left before the African season ends, Essa remains on firm ground for possible coronation as continental champion if he manages another good run at next month’s Kobil Rally of Tanzania in Dar-es-Salaam.