- At least 44 dead in collapse of church building owned by TB Joshua official saysPosted 9 mins ago
- Dangote categorically denies corruption & bribery claims made by Minister of LabourPosted 18 hours ago
- Emirates to Launch Second Service to Dar es SalaamPosted 2 days ago
- Drivers licence card printing operations normalise says RTSAPosted 2 days ago
- Peter Matoka was great inspiration says Rupiah BandaPosted 2 days ago
- Fire swepts through Pen Marks store in LusakaPosted 2 days ago
- MMD to discipline its official who urinated in the council chamber says Muhabi LunguPosted 3 days ago
- DEC arrests 44 year-old businessman of Chipata for money laundering activities involving over K40,000.Posted 3 days ago
- President Sata mourns Dr. MatokaPosted 3 days ago
- President Sata toasts Zambezi West, Vubwi and Mkushi South VictoryPosted 3 days ago
Mohammed Essa wins the Shell Pearl of Africa Uganda Rally
- Updated: July 15, 2012
Zambia’s Mohammed Essa has won the Shell Pearl of Africa Uganda Rally with a resounding three minutes one second lead after dominating the three-day race from start to finish.
Mohammed Essa, navigated by Zimbabwean Greg Stead, led the event from start to finish for the Zambian’s maiden POAUR event. He returned his Prodrive Subaru Impreza N12 machine in two hours, 38 minutes and 10 seconds.
This year’s edition of POAUR flagged off by Uganda’s Vice-President Edward K. Ssekandi while Prime Minister John Patrick Amama Mbabazi presided over the closing ceremony at Uganda Manufacturers Association (UMA) showground.
Provisional POAUR final results:
1.Mohammed Essa /Greg Stead (Subaru Impreza) 2:38:10
2.Jas Mangat/Ravi Soni (Subaru Impreza) 2:41:12
3.Ronald Sebuguzi / Cedric Buzabo (Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 9) 2:54:31
4.Giancarlo Davite/Sylvia Vondevogel (Subaru Impreza) 2:56:10
5.Susan Muwonge/Edmond Kyeyune (Subaru Impreza) 3:01:26
6.Edson Mungyereza/Ronald Luwangula (Subaru Impreza) 3:20:06
7.Elefterios Mitraros/Paolo Paganin (Subaru Impreza) 3:21:27
8.Jonas Kansiime/Joseph Bongole (Subaru Impreza) 3:39:41
9.Patrick Sebambulidde / Rahma Mohammed (Toyota Levin) 4:08:34
The win gives Essa a 55-point lead in the FIA African Rally Championship (ARC) race having increased his season tally to 89 points against Rwandan Giancarlo Davite’s 34 points.
Davite Rwandese leapfrogged to second position in the African contest by finishing fourth in the Pearl that ended with two local drivers driver Jas Mangat and Ronald Sebuguzi finishing second and third.
With three rallies left before the African season ends, Essa remains on firm ground for possible coronation as continental champion if he manages another good run at next month’s Kobil Rally of Tanzania in Dar-es-Salaam.