- British national fined of K10, 000 for unlawful stayPosted 4 hours ago
- PF wants constitution that suits them only charges UPNDPosted 5 hours ago
- PF government is abusing its workforce says Hakainde HichilemaPosted 6 hours ago
- President Edgar Lungu Appoints Inonge Wina as PF Vice PresidentPosted 1 day ago
- Oasis Forum rejects enactment of the new constitution in a piecemeal mannerPosted 1 day ago
- DNA Equipment Commissioned by GovernmentPosted 1 day ago
- ZAWA nabs Three for Illegal possession of game meatPosted 1 day ago
- Zambian Breweries Rewards top-selling Castle lager distributors with a five-day football trip to SpainPosted 1 day ago
- PF Bangweulu MP Chifita Matafwali Dies in IndiaPosted 2 days ago
- Pastor jailed 20 years for raping teen, taken for prayers to himPosted 2 days ago
Mohammed Essa wins the Shell Pearl of Africa Uganda Rally
- Updated: July 15, 2012
Zambia’s Mohammed Essa has won the Shell Pearl of Africa Uganda Rally with a resounding three minutes one second lead after dominating the three-day race from start to finish.
Mohammed Essa, navigated by Zimbabwean Greg Stead, led the event from start to finish for the Zambian’s maiden POAUR event. He returned his Prodrive Subaru Impreza N12 machine in two hours, 38 minutes and 10 seconds.
This year’s edition of POAUR flagged off by Uganda’s Vice-President Edward K. Ssekandi while Prime Minister John Patrick Amama Mbabazi presided over the closing ceremony at Uganda Manufacturers Association (UMA) showground.
Provisional POAUR final results:
1.Mohammed Essa /Greg Stead (Subaru Impreza) 2:38:10
2.Jas Mangat/Ravi Soni (Subaru Impreza) 2:41:12
3.Ronald Sebuguzi / Cedric Buzabo (Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 9) 2:54:31
4.Giancarlo Davite/Sylvia Vondevogel (Subaru Impreza) 2:56:10
5.Susan Muwonge/Edmond Kyeyune (Subaru Impreza) 3:01:26
6.Edson Mungyereza/Ronald Luwangula (Subaru Impreza) 3:20:06
7.Elefterios Mitraros/Paolo Paganin (Subaru Impreza) 3:21:27
8.Jonas Kansiime/Joseph Bongole (Subaru Impreza) 3:39:41
9.Patrick Sebambulidde / Rahma Mohammed (Toyota Levin) 4:08:34
The win gives Essa a 55-point lead in the FIA African Rally Championship (ARC) race having increased his season tally to 89 points against Rwandan Giancarlo Davite’s 34 points.
Davite Rwandese leapfrogged to second position in the African contest by finishing fourth in the Pearl that ended with two local drivers driver Jas Mangat and Ronald Sebuguzi finishing second and third.
With three rallies left before the African season ends, Essa remains on firm ground for possible coronation as continental champion if he manages another good run at next month’s Kobil Rally of Tanzania in Dar-es-Salaam.