- Sandvik is platinum sponsor for upcoming Copperbelt Mining Trade Expo and Conference in Kitwe next weekPosted 2 hours ago
- Two Chipata Businessmen Arrested Over K40,000 counterfeit notesPosted 2 hours ago
- ZAWA Director General’s Contract Terminated by GovernmentPosted 2 hours ago
- Nevers Mumba maintains MMD NEC meeting is set for month endPosted 20 hours ago
- We will continue yapping to demand for the release of the draft constitution says Fr. Leonard ChitiPosted 21 hours ago
- Police launch manhunt for bandits who snatched K541,736.00 cash in LuanshyaPosted 1 day ago
- Unsafe Abortions in Zambia worry GovernmentPosted 1 day ago
- 35 people killed in Easter weekend accidentsPosted 1 day ago
- Dora and her team should leave MMD says Bowman LusamboPosted 2 days ago
- President Sata mourns Dennis LiwewePosted 2 days ago
Mohammed Essa wins the Shell Pearl of Africa Uganda Rally
- Updated: July 15, 2012
Zambia’s Mohammed Essa has won the Shell Pearl of Africa Uganda Rally with a resounding three minutes one second lead after dominating the three-day race from start to finish.
Mohammed Essa, navigated by Zimbabwean Greg Stead, led the event from start to finish for the Zambian’s maiden POAUR event. He returned his Prodrive Subaru Impreza N12 machine in two hours, 38 minutes and 10 seconds.
This year’s edition of POAUR flagged off by Uganda’s Vice-President Edward K. Ssekandi while Prime Minister John Patrick Amama Mbabazi presided over the closing ceremony at Uganda Manufacturers Association (UMA) showground.
Provisional POAUR final results:
1.Mohammed Essa /Greg Stead (Subaru Impreza) 2:38:10
2.Jas Mangat/Ravi Soni (Subaru Impreza) 2:41:12
3.Ronald Sebuguzi / Cedric Buzabo (Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 9) 2:54:31
4.Giancarlo Davite/Sylvia Vondevogel (Subaru Impreza) 2:56:10
5.Susan Muwonge/Edmond Kyeyune (Subaru Impreza) 3:01:26
6.Edson Mungyereza/Ronald Luwangula (Subaru Impreza) 3:20:06
7.Elefterios Mitraros/Paolo Paganin (Subaru Impreza) 3:21:27
8.Jonas Kansiime/Joseph Bongole (Subaru Impreza) 3:39:41
9.Patrick Sebambulidde / Rahma Mohammed (Toyota Levin) 4:08:34
The win gives Essa a 55-point lead in the FIA African Rally Championship (ARC) race having increased his season tally to 89 points against Rwandan Giancarlo Davite’s 34 points.
Davite Rwandese leapfrogged to second position in the African contest by finishing fourth in the Pearl that ended with two local drivers driver Jas Mangat and Ronald Sebuguzi finishing second and third.
With three rallies left before the African season ends, Essa remains on firm ground for possible coronation as continental champion if he manages another good run at next month’s Kobil Rally of Tanzania in Dar-es-Salaam.