- DEC arrests peasant farmer for trafficking in loose cannabis weighing 13.7 kgPosted 16 hours ago
- Zambia appeals for human capital infrastructure support for newly constructed universitiesPosted 17 hours ago
- ZAWA takes over MundawangaPosted 18 hours ago
- Emirates and Angola announce strategic airline partnership in respect of TAAG Linhas Aéreas De AngolaPosted 18 hours ago
- Banks must provide safe and secure transactions for businesses says Paul RichardsPosted 3 days ago
- Steven Masumba sentenced to 12 months imprisonmentPosted 3 days ago
- ZAMBEEF bosses, Francis Grogan and Carl Irwin renew partnershipPosted 3 days ago
- Leaders should be listening to artistes says Rupiah BandaPosted 4 days ago
- President Sata arrives back home from New YorkPosted 4 days ago
- President Sata leaves New York amid reports of ill healthPosted 4 days ago
Mohammed Essa wins the Shell Pearl of Africa Uganda Rally
- Updated: July 15, 2012
Zambia’s Mohammed Essa has won the Shell Pearl of Africa Uganda Rally with a resounding three minutes one second lead after dominating the three-day race from start to finish.
Mohammed Essa, navigated by Zimbabwean Greg Stead, led the event from start to finish for the Zambian’s maiden POAUR event. He returned his Prodrive Subaru Impreza N12 machine in two hours, 38 minutes and 10 seconds.
This year’s edition of POAUR flagged off by Uganda’s Vice-President Edward K. Ssekandi while Prime Minister John Patrick Amama Mbabazi presided over the closing ceremony at Uganda Manufacturers Association (UMA) showground.
Provisional POAUR final results:
1.Mohammed Essa /Greg Stead (Subaru Impreza) 2:38:10
2.Jas Mangat/Ravi Soni (Subaru Impreza) 2:41:12
3.Ronald Sebuguzi / Cedric Buzabo (Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 9) 2:54:31
4.Giancarlo Davite/Sylvia Vondevogel (Subaru Impreza) 2:56:10
5.Susan Muwonge/Edmond Kyeyune (Subaru Impreza) 3:01:26
6.Edson Mungyereza/Ronald Luwangula (Subaru Impreza) 3:20:06
7.Elefterios Mitraros/Paolo Paganin (Subaru Impreza) 3:21:27
8.Jonas Kansiime/Joseph Bongole (Subaru Impreza) 3:39:41
9.Patrick Sebambulidde / Rahma Mohammed (Toyota Levin) 4:08:34
The win gives Essa a 55-point lead in the FIA African Rally Championship (ARC) race having increased his season tally to 89 points against Rwandan Giancarlo Davite’s 34 points.
Davite Rwandese leapfrogged to second position in the African contest by finishing fourth in the Pearl that ended with two local drivers driver Jas Mangat and Ronald Sebuguzi finishing second and third.
With three rallies left before the African season ends, Essa remains on firm ground for possible coronation as continental champion if he manages another good run at next month’s Kobil Rally of Tanzania in Dar-es-Salaam.